Study Proves Eating Saturated Fat Increase Good HDL Cholesterol

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I finished university so I'd not have to read things like that. What are the final results, minus all the freaking numbers and comas? :p

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Conclusions: A reduction in dietary total and saturated fat decreased both large (HDL2 and HDL2b) and small, dense HDL subpopulations, although decreases in HDL2 and HDL2b were most pronounced.

In other words, eating saturated fat rasies your good cholesterol.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Riprorin
Conclusions: A reduction in dietary total and saturated fat decreased both large (HDL2 and HDL2b) and small, dense HDL subpopulations, although decreases in HDL2 and HDL2b were most pronounced.

What about the "bad" cholesterol? :) Maybe once I hit 30 I'll learn what all those numbers mean :D

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If you're on a low-fat diet, by necessity, you're on a high carb diet (after all your diet can't be composed of only protein).

Here's another study from Stanford University:

High carbohydrate diets, triglyceride-rich lipoproteins, and coronary heart disease risk.

Once again, do you have no concept of moderation? Everything you talk about is to extremes. If you cut calories and spread out what makes up the ones that you do take in over the various types of foods you'll be better off in the long run. "Dieting" does not have to be mutually exclusive when it comes to what you eat.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb

What about the "bad" cholesterol? :) Maybe once I hit 30 I'll learn what all those numbers mean :D

The study didn't report that. I know that for me personally, decreasing carbs and increasing fat caused my LDL to go down.

Looking at LDL only is a little misleading as there sub-particles - there's a small dense particle fluffy particle. The small dense one is bad for you. Unfortunately, the test to determine what the raio is isn't covered by insurance yet.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well anyone who's followed a low carb diet correctly knows that your cholesterol improves dramatically. This is old news for them.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: PrimativeScrewhead
If you're on a low-fat diet, by necessity, you're on a high carb diet (after all your diet can't be composed of only protein).

Here's another study from Stanford University:

High carbohydrate diets, triglyceride-rich lipoproteins, and coronary heart disease risk.

Once again, do you have no concept of moderation? Everything you talk about is to extremes. If you cut calories and spread out what makes up the ones that you do take in over the various types of foods you'll be better off in the long run. "Dieting" does not have to be mutually exclusive when it comes to what you eat.

I'm just pointing out some medical studies. You can draw your own conclusions.

Personally, I don't like being hungry so cutting calories wouldn't work for me. Fortuanately, good fats makes you feel full and they are healthy for you too.

I don't drink soda or fruit juices, I don't eat sugar, I don't eat white flour, I don't eat starchy fruits and vegetables, and I don't eat and junk/processed foods that contain trans-fats.

What's so extreme about that?

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: kami
Well anyone who's followed a low carb diet correctly knows that your cholesterol improves dramatically. This is old news for them.

A lot of people haven't caught on yet.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
In light of the highly biased and ridiculous McDonalds salad thread, I think this needs bumping.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Amused
In light of the highly biased and ridiculous McDonalds salad thread, I think this needs bumping.

What was the McDonald's salad thread about?

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb

Here's another study which shows a benefit to a diet high in saturated fat

Effect of a High Saturated Fat and No-Starch Diet on Cardiovascular Disease
Reference:
Hays, J.H., DiSabatino, A., Gorman, R.T., et al., Effect of a High Saturated Fat and No-Starch Diet on Serum Lipid Subfractions in Patients with Documented Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 78(11), 2003, pages 1331-1336.

Summary:

OBJECTIVE: To determine whether a diet of high saturated fat and avoidance of starch (HSF-SA) results in weight loss without adverse effects on serum lipids in obese nondiabetic patients.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: Twenty-three patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease participated in a prospective 6-week trial at the Christiana Care Medical Center in Newark, Del, between August 2000 and September 2001. All patients were obese (mean +/- SD body mass index [BMI], 39.0+/-7.3 kg/m2) and had been treated with statins before entry in the trial. Fifteen obese patients with polycystic ovary syndrome (BMI, 36.1+/-9.7 kg/m2) and 8 obese patients with reactive hypoglycemia (BMI, 46.8+/-10 kg/m2) were monitored during an HSF-SA diet for 24 and 52 weeks, respectively, between 1997 and 2000.

RESULTS: In patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, mean +/- SD total body weight (TBW) decreased 5.2%+/-2.5% (P.001) as did body fat percentage (P=.02). Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopic analysis of lipids showed decreases in total triglycerides (P<.001), very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) triglycerides (P<.001), VLDL size (P<.001), large VLDL concentration (P<.001), and medium VLDL concentration (P<.001). High-density lipoprotein (HDL) and LDL concentrations were unchanged, but HDL size (P=.01) and LDL size (P=.02) increased. Patients with polycystic ovary syndrome lost 14.3%+/-20.3% of TBW (P=.008) and patients with reactive hypoglycemia lost 19.9%+/-8.7% of TBW (P<.001) at 24 and 52 weeks, respectively, without adverse effects on serum lipids.

CONCLUSION: An HSF-SA diet results in weight loss after 6 weeks without adverse effects on serum lipid levels verified by nuclear magnetic resonance, and further weight loss with a lipid-neutral effect may persist for up to 52 weeks.