Students walk out to protest GOP anti-trans policy

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I truly hope our young ones will grasp the political power that prior generations have failed to wield.

These kids have grown up practicing active shooter drills in school, seen police brutality in a way not shown before, and are much more aware of the systemic inequities in our country.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Note to those who seek to force people back into hiding, back into the closet.... it isn't gonna to happen. Period.
Society is constantly moving forward, and to move backwards is not an option. The LGBTQ are not the ones endangered, those who refuse to accept progress are the endangered ones. And good riddance.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Quite obvious that Sexual freedom is under assault from Religious Freedom Lobby

We need a new amendment that guarantees:
- equal marriage rights
- gender self determination rights
- consensual sex freedom rights
- abortion rights
- contraception rights

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I truly hope our young ones will grasp the political power that prior generations have failed to wield.

These kids have grown up practicing active shooter drills in school, seen police brutality in a way not shown before, and are much more aware of the systemic inequities in our country.
I hope so too, but history tells me that if they do the GOP will just find some way to discourage them. We are after all still fighting the war on drugs that was invented to target the youth last time they tried to use their political power.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Like, not to be a wet blanket, but did any of you ever go to high school? A public one? In the US?

I did. In my 4 years we had several walkouts. And I can say that in each one there was a core group of students that believed in whatever the current cause was. And there was a large group of students who just wanted to get out of class. They didn't care about the cause, a walkout was an excuse.

I don't think the nature of 13-18 year old kids has fundamentally changed much.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Quite obvious that Sexual freedom is under assault from Religious Freedom Lobby

We need a new amendment that guarantees:
- equal marriage rights
- gender self determination rights
- consensual sex freedom rights
- abortion rights
- contraception rights

Where are my rights to repress your rights? [/s]

Conservatives can't seem to see that and just want to impose their beliefs on to everyone.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Like, not to be a wet blanket, but did any of you ever go to high school? A public one? In the US?

I did. In my 4 years we had several walkouts. And I can say that in each one there was a core group of students that believed in whatever the current cause was. And there was a large group of students who just wanted to get out of class. They didn't care about the cause, a walkout was an excuse.

a good point. For those of us who didn’t know, good to know. I would skipped school too if it woulda mattered

Reactions: Pohemi and Leeea

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

Good point, but the more people that walk out the bigger of a deal it becomes, regardless of whether they care or not.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Never had a walkout in HS (early 90s). I think this is more than just the "hey lets get out of class" type as well. Some work went into this and the coordination.

Reactions: Pohemi and Leeea

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Never had a walkout in HS (early 90s). I think this is more than just the "hey lets get out of class" type as well. Some work went into this and the coordination.
The advent of social media has made the coordination of these events much easier. Not saying it's a breeze but it easily increased the crowd by a few folds.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Once there was a way to get back home
Sleep pretty darling do not cry
And I will sing a lullaby

Golden Slumbers fill your eyes
Smiles awake you when you rise

Once there was a way to get back homeward
Once there was a way to get back home

Boy, you're gonna carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

I never give you my pillow
I only send you my invitations
And in the middle of the celebrations
I break down

Oh yeah, all right
Are you gonna be in my dreams
Tonight

And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make
-------------------------------------------------

A light murdered by jealous insanity

Brief songs of love and joy became a music industry

The opening of the doors of perception to drug lords and the prison industry

Long hair and beards a fashion statement

The sexual revolution to promiscuity, STDs and HIV

Wherever the will to love opens onto the joy of being the sucking sounds of the vacuum of ego will soon be heard.

Nobody wants to know who it is that is the real enemy.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I hope so too, but history tells me that if they do the GOP will just find some way to discourage them. We are after all still fighting the war on drugs that was invented to target the youth last time they tried to use their political power.
It's no surprise. Social revolution is always an attempt to replace one form of insanity with another. Everyone hates themselves and that self hate is a form of repression. It prevents piece of mind and being joy and every revolution promises to restore that without ever facing the reasons why we are repressed, that we are terrified to feel what we really feel, the lie that we are worthless and unworthy of love. But that is the only repression that exists, the lie we tell ourselves and deny by the delusion we know an alternative way out other than facing that fact.

So look at it from the other end. We are believers of lies and those lies are the prison we love to be in. Somebody comes along and says, Hey, wake up you are in prison and we are having a revolution that will lead to true happiness. What do you want to do? Well, the answer is that you want to kill them. How dare they believe they have a way to happiness and fulfillment that I deny to myself to keep myself in prison. They are heretics, let me whip up the Spanish Inquisition to put them in their place.

In this way the Wheel of Karma turns and turns and turns. Karma is the way of ego. The ego will never free itself. The ego is the prison. The ego is the means by which we tell ourselves we are not dead before our deaths.

Once there was a way to get back home. Time to sing a lullaby.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Note to those who seek to force people back into hiding, back into the closet.... it isn't gonna to happen. Period.
Society is constantly moving forward, and to move backwards is not an option. The LGBTQ are not the ones endangered, those who refuse to accept progress are the endangered ones. And good riddance.
To assume progress will always move forward to how the fascists take over. Dobbs proves otherwise. The GOP and the USSC will have absolutely no problem stripping gays of rights.

The Dems missed a huge opportunity to force the GOP on record as voting for backwards progress.

Reactions: Pohemi

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Heck, I had detention for wearing a blue jean arm band in the 9th grade. I was in an elitist Jr. High school. No blue jeans allowed, no hair over the collar. That all changed rapidly, as the High School I moved to the following year threw out all of the dress code policy, that same year. The end of the conformist world began (1970).

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

and Republicans think their kids learning about Harriet Tubman, Ruby Bridges or MLK is more traumatizing then active shooter drills.

That's why book banning is on their agenda

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Meanwhile in Tejas, continuing in their quest to be the biggest shithole in the country

These fuckin' people.
"You are whatever you were born as, God doesn't make mistakes!!!*

*Except for intersex kids, they need to be assigned to whichever gender their parents prefer, because we ain't having none of that in-between shit"

Denying trans kids access to gender-affirming care is child abuse, not the other way around. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it.