Students placed on hold during 911 carjacking

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Always remember - when seconds count the police are only minutes away. End carry bans at universities NOW and save lives. This unfortunate situation could have been ended easily with just one student being armed.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/26/help-carjacking-hold/

ATLANTA (AP) — Four college students said Monday that they were put on hold when they tried to call 911 for help when they were carjacked at gunpoint near campus.

The gunmen on Sunday night forced two of the students into the trunk of a Buick LaCrosse, while the other two were in the back seat, the four said at a news conference at Morehouse College in Atlanta. One of the two in the trunk tried to place call after call to 911, but couldn't get through, he said.

Instead they called Morehouse campus police who sent help.

Police dispatcher Karen Wells said the students seemed calm and were whispering. On the dispatch tape, one of them said, "please hurry, they said they are going to kill us."

The four students spoke with reporters but asked that their names not be used because one of their assailants was still on the loose.

Morehouse police Chief Vernon Worthy confirmed the four were carjacked near campus. Three go to Morehouse, the fourth to American InterContinental University, which is also in Atlanta.

The gunmen were taking the four to an ATM to get money from their bank accounts, Worthy said.

Wells directed officers from Morehouse and other Atlanta University Center campuses to a bank where police found the victims and arrested two of the three suspects.

Atlanta police had no immediate comment on why the men were put on hold.

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
It's Atlanta. The only reason it made the news other than a quick mention was because they escaped. This place is a craphole.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
That's a terrible part of Atlanta. There's a lot of homeless, gangs, drugs, prostitution, etc. running around that area.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
On hold? What the hell...somebody needs to get fired.

Ok, lets slow this down a bit. You do realize that 911 call centers aren't staffed by an infinite amount of people, right? You get 2-3 911 calls at one time, in a 2 person center...guess what...someone has to wait. Have you ever been in a call center when they are dispatching a major fire, calling 4-6 different agencies for help, and the police department is also handling several fight calls and domestics...I have. It's not fun and people kept calling for the dumbest shit, which adds to the workload. So please, before you start calling for jobs, look at it from a different perspective first. If they were put on hold, and they have a reasonable explanation, it sucks, but it hardly warrants termination.

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006
Ok, lets slow this down a bit. You do realize that call centers aren't staffed by an infinite amount of people, right? You get 2-3 911 calls at one time, in a 2 person center...guess what...someone has to wait. Have you ever been in a call center when they are dispatching a major fire, calling 4-6 different agencies for help, and the police department is also handling several fight calls and domestics...I have. It's not fun and people kept calling for the dumbest shit, which adds to the workload. So please, before you start calling for jobs, look at it from a different perspective first. If they were put on hold, and they have a reasonable explanation, it sucks, but it hardly warrants termination.

If they dont have enough people for 911 line, person responsible for this problem (shortage of operators) should be fired.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Ok, lets slow this down a bit. You do realize that 911 call centers aren't staffed by an infinite amount of people, right? You get 2-3 911 calls at one time, in a 2 person center...guess what...someone has to wait. Have you ever been in a call center when they are dispatching a major fire, calling 4-6 different agencies for help, and the police department is also handling several fight calls and domestics...I have. It's not fun and people kept calling for the dumbest shit, which adds to the workload. So please, before you start calling for jobs, look at it from a different perspective first. If they were put on hold, and they have a reasonable explanation, it sucks, but it hardly warrants termination.

Er...given that this particular 'call centre' isn't dealing with people wanting to, say, RMA graphics cards, but is supposed to be dealing with _emergencies_, perhaps they should be staffed by a sufficient number of people that nobody would have to be put on hold? And perhaps if they aren't then whoever is responsible for funding and hiring the staff should explain why they aren't doing their job properly?

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Er...given that this particular 'call centre' isn't dealing with people wanting to, say, RMA graphics cards, but is supposed to be dealing with _emergencies_, perhaps they should be staffed by a sufficient number of people that nobody would have to be put on hold? And perhaps if they aren't then whoever is responsible for funding and hiring the staff should explain why they aren't doing their job properly?

And most likely, you'll find that their budget simply can't accommodate more staff. Where do you want to lay the blame for that?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
If they dont have enough people for 911 line, person responsible for this problem (shortage of operators) should be fired.

That would be the people that balance the budget. See people = paychecks. Less $$$ = less paychecks which = less people.

Instead go after people that call 911 for BS and make examples of them. You know how many calls to 911 are BS?

MrEgo

Jan 17, 2003
Fire everyone!

Also, this situation wouldn't have necessarily been avoided if one of them was armed. You can just as easily say that one of the students could have pulled out the gun, and all of a sudden you got a nice shoot out going on.

But, hey, push that agenda.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
That would be the people that balance the budget. See people = paychecks. Less $$$ = less paychecks which = less people.

Instead go after people that call 911 for BS and make examples of them. You know how many calls to 911 are BS?

i agree go after people that make BS calls.

but really lets think this through. you have aunt betty calling because her TV is sendign her weird pictures or 4 kids who are carjacked at gunpoint. who i do you put on hold?

this call should never been put on hold. unless there was a major accident (say a plane going down) it is inexcusable.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
i agree go after people that make BS calls.

but really lets think this through. you have aunt betty calling because her TV is sendign her weird pictures or 4 kids who are carjacked at gunpoint. who i do you put on hold?

this call should never been put on hold. unless there was a major accident (say a plane going down) it is inexcusable.

Problem is many real calls look/sound like pranks/bs until you talk to them more. Like a little kid wispering may sound like someome playing with the phone until they are able to get the kid to say they called as someone is in the house. So yea they should weed calls but they can;t just hang up cause they think its not real.

That and many times, from reading, the system not a person puts them on hold. So you call in and it says please hold... and you hold.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
The solution is simple... pack some heat. and learn how to effectively use that heat.

This can happen in even the most efficient 911 call centers. They have X number of people and you just may hit the time where there are multiple problems occuring. 911 operators have to answer every call and cannot just hang up on someone they think may be pranking them.

Lesson to be learned is the police are not always going to be around.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Raising taxes and expanding government is always your answer.

Because it is the answer to a shortage of 911 operators. Your answer is to undermine effective government so that we all have to carry guns like cowboys.

daishi5

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2005
Because it is the answer to a shortage of 911 operators. Your answer is to undermine effective government so that we all have to carry guns like cowboys.

When the government fails, the answer is more government. He is not undermining a system that worked and causing it to fail, he is advocating not relying on a government that cannot be relied upon. Remember, the government is under no obligation to protect you.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Always remember - when seconds count the police are only minutes away. End carry bans at universities NOW and save lives. This unfortunate situation could have been ended easily with just one student being armed.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/26/help-carjacking-hold/

Maybe you want to read about this a bit more? Before posting an incorrect article? But it is from Fox, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. And really, letting college kids carry weapons? That's certainly a good idea :rolleyes:

Link

Audio provided Monday night by the Atlanta Police department showed that the students kidnapped Sunday night from Morehouse were not put on hold when they called 911.

But recordings of two of the four 911 calls made -- the students hung up before two other calls were answered -- reflect conversation that was either indecipherable or gave no information that could lead police to them.

The connection was lost, and the operator calls back, with no answer.

So maybe you want to change your story now?

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
But it is from Fox, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. And really, letting college kids carry weapons?

Ding, ding, we have a winner, that's what this is all about in the first place, trying to drum up more support for allowing weapons on campus.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Maybe you want to read about this a bit more? Before posting an incorrect article? But it is from Fox, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. And really, letting college kids carry weapons? That's certainly a good idea :rolleyes:

Link

So maybe you want to change your story now?

Hahaha... another Spidy07 owned thread.

:awe:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Ding, ding, we have a winner, that's what this is all about in the first place, trying to drum up more support for allowing weapons on campus.

I got the story from AP mobile news on my phone and then just googled for the article. That's the only reason for the source.

And absolutely students and staff should be allowed to carry on campus. Violent crime would go down if they did.