"students" at georgia southern burn books they don't like.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I need to write a book. If dumbasses want to buy and burn my book by the rail car load, I'm good. I put this up there with flag burning as an effective form of speech. As long as it's their own book or flag, have at it. Just don't expect anyone to think highly of the action or the person doing the burning.

The fascists of yore burnt other people's books (library copies). That's a crime and should be prosecuted.

Nov 8, 2012
Students do have a valid point.

There is nothing more hilarious than pointing to a bunch of white people of varying backgrounds and saying "You all have a privilege". That is only something that comes from the mouth of a low IQ inept individual. The same types of individuals that look at a group of 25 random white people and saying "You aren't diverse"...

Never-mind things like different upbringings, different immigration, different bodies, different minds, different everything... But skin color... Therefore you're not diverse? Who is the stupid one here?

Article also doesn't state if they bought the books or not, since she was there speaking about the book she might have handed them out for free.

Obligatory
White-Privilege-is-a-Myth.jpg

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't support the student's perspective, and I think also that the response to their protest is unhelpful. There is a toxic morality in discussing race, privilege, etc. right now. It's good to have a productive discourse to challenge and examine ideas, especially correct ones. So long as violence is not active, give folks a voice, respect their views, use them to revise your own if there is cause to do so, and don't be afraid to disagree or never even think it possible to end a discussion in agreement. The important thing is to keep a productive discussion going, even if the fruits pay off in future generations. These suggestions apply equally to all parties.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

There is nothing more hilarious than pointing to a bunch of white people of varying backgrounds and saying "You all have a privilege". That is only something that comes from the mouth of a low IQ inept individual. The same types of individuals that look at a group of 25 random white people and saying "You aren't diverse"...

Never-mind things like different upbringings, different immigration, different bodies, different minds, different everything... But skin color... Therefore you're not diverse? Who is the stupid one here?

Article also doesn't state if they bought the books or not, since she was there speaking about the book she might have handed them out for free.

Obligatory

Shocker. He doesn't understand "white privilege"
Here from the wiki:

White privilege (or white skin privilege) is the societal privilege that benefits white people over non-white people, particularly if they are otherwise under the same social, political, or economic circumstances.

(emphasis mine)

Reactions: jackstar7

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Obligatory

I find this particular comment offensive and obviously untrue. I do also believe that the particular way of communicating the white privilege message is not what we need. Responding by baselessly denigrating the worth of people seems to me a different side of the same problem.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I find this particular comment offensive and obviously untrue. I do also believe that the particular way of communicating the white privilege message is not what we need. Responding by baselessly denigrating the worth of people seems to me a different side of the same problem.

Well the good news here is that there is absolutely no history of maligning black and brown people as mentally inferior in the US that one could point to as why that particular charge leveled at minorities is, in itself, a real problem.

Last edited:

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Is anyone surprised that a certain poster with a long history of concern about free speech on campus is now supporting book burnings on campus because he disagrees with the speech in the books being burned?

But anyway, I strongly dislike term white privilege because, of course, not all whites are privileged and the term can be disingenuously interpreted to mean that they are. I'm not going to go burning books that use that term though.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Just waiting for someone to argue that book burning is a more civil form of protest compared to the treatment of conservative speakers at Berkeley or other colleges. Who’s gonna go for it??

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Just waiting for someone to argue that book burning is a more civil form of protest compared to the treatment of conservative speakers at Berkeley or other colleges. Who’s gonna go for it??

Is the issue because the Nazis did it? I don't think, as a form of protest, it indicates in the protesters an openness to civil discourse.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.... wait....

So... you're telling me... that burning BUILDINGS.... smashing windows.... and violence..... is more civil.... than burning some books? Ok bud. Seek mental help please.

berkeley%20milo.jpg

Personal attacks will no longer be allowed in P&N.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Why couldn't they have just used death threats to get campus speakers to cancel their speeches, like the gamergaters did to Anita Sarkeesian at UT? Everyone knows that's the 'acceptable' way to silence speech you disagree with. Just like book burning is too it seems.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
You smear people with this privilege crap, and they are going to respond with hate against those who label them "other". Basic tribalism. If you want to win, try preventing it, do not incite or inflame divisions. Don't tell people how different they are, tell them how to work together. It's a matter of focus, and what thoughts we fixate on. Whether we drive people towards negative or positive thoughts. Humans can be simple animals, lead them where you want them to go.

As for books. I'm sorry, they are books. This is 2019, that's like saying people can't travel cause you took away their horse and buggy. No, sorry, the world has moved on. Hard copies might be fun and all, but the wealth of human knowledge is online now. Censorship over the internet is a FAR greater concern when it comes to Nazi or Communist style re-education. A simple reactionary protest out of anger is nothing compared to China's Great Firewall and other modern methods of state run fascism.

Reactions: GoodRevrnd

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Shocker. He doesn't understand "white privilege"
Here from the wiki:

White privilege (or white skin privilege) is the societal privilege that benefits white people over non-white people, particularly if they are otherwise under the same social, political, or economic circumstances.

(emphasis mine)
This is well known, and any time it's mentioned he's there to lambaste it and post that meme.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You smear people with this privilege crap, and they are going to respond with hate against those who label them "other". Basic tribalism. If you want to win, try preventing it, do not incite or inflame divisions. Don't tell people how different they are, tell them how to work together. It's a matter of focus, and what thoughts we fixate on. Whether we drive people towards negative or positive thoughts. Humans can be simple animals, lead them where you want them to go.

As for books. I'm sorry, they are books. This is 2019, that's like saying people can't travel cause you took away their horse and buggy. No, sorry, the world has moved on. Hard copies might be fun and all, but the wealth of human knowledge is online now. Censorship over the internet is a FAR greater concern when it comes to Nazi or Communist style re-education. A simple reactionary protest out of anger is nothing compared to China's Great Firewall and other modern methods of state run fascism.
I guess you don't really grasp white privilege either. Do you just feel personally insulted when the phrase is used, and that's enough to rile you up?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I guess you don't really grasp white privilege either. Do you just feel personally insulted when the phrase is used, and that's enough to rile you up?
As I noted above, it's a poor use of words because it can be so easily misinterpreted to mean that all whites are privileged. And when misinterpreted like that, it does appear to be racist against less privileged whites.
It's like "cultural appropriation," which can be misinterpreted to mean that a white woman can't run a taco truck, when the actual negative meaning is that corporations like Disney shouldn't be allowed to own the copyright to an entire culture just because they made a movie.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
I guess I'm having a difficult time understanding white privilege (like some other posters here).

I'm used to hearing it in an almost accusational or blame-like tone. I've always assumed that the goal was to rid white people of the privilege and I've wondered why not instead have the goal of granting that privilege universally to everyone. After reading this thread, I think my understanding might be off and if anyone wants to weigh in I'm open.

Nov 8, 2012
As I noted above, it's a poor use of words because it can be so easily misinterpreted to mean that all whites are privileged. And when misinterpreted like that, it does appear to be racist against less privileged whites.
It's like "cultural appropriation," which can be misinterpreted to mean that a white woman can't run a taco truck, when the actual negative meaning is that corporations like Disney shouldn't be allowed to own the copyright to an entire culture just because they made a movie.

Uhhh... dude... That IS how it is interpreted. They legitimately say "white privilege" is something that every white person inherently has. Thus they are saying all whites privileged.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
uh, it extends to poor whites, that's why it's white privilege instead of privileged privilege.

Uhhh... dude... That IS how it is interpreted. They legitimately say "white privilege" is something that every white person inherently has. Thus they are saying all whites privileged.
because we are. poor black people and poor white people are treated differently by civil society.

Jul 9, 2009
Short plain and simple: burning books is always an idiotic idea.
for the obligatory both sides do it.
Climate change book at San Jose State University[edit]
In May 2013, two San Jose State University professors, department chair Alison Bridger, PhD and associate professor Craig Clements, PhD, were photographed holding a match to a book they disagreed with, The Mad, Mad, Mad World of Climatism, by Steve Goreham. The university initially posted it on their website, but then took it down

from the far larger

Reactions: pcgeek11