Student who published article against seatbelts dies in a crash

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
http://www.journalstar.com/art...350078259784029686.txt

Kieper, a 21-year-old senior at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, died early Tuesday morning when the Ford Explorer he was a passenger in travelled off an icy section of Interstate 80 and rolled several times in a ditch. Kieper, who was riding in the back seat of the Explorer, was ejected from the vehicle.

Two others in the vehicle, including the driver, Luke Havermann of Ogallala, and the front-seat passenger, Nick Uphoff of Randolph Air Force Base in Texas, sustained non-life threatening injuries. Havermann and Uphoff, both 21, were being treated at BryanLGH Medical Center West.

Derek, who was thrown from the vehicle, was not wearing a seat belt, Lefler said. He said Havermann and Uphoff were wearing seat belts at the time.

In a column written for the Daily Nebraskan in September, Derek attacked seat belt laws as intrusions on individual liberties and expensive to enforce.

"It is my choice what type of safety precautions I take," he wrote.

"There seems to be a die-hard group of non-wearers out there who simply do not wish to buckle up no matter what the government does. I belong to this group."

Here's a link to student's article:
Link

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Thats sucks. It's Too bad he thought he was invincible enough not to wear a seat belt in a vehicle.

marcello

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
It's not that sad when morons take their own life. I see it as improving the overall gene pool

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
Well, at least he got to exercise his individual liberties, right? Darwin did the rest.

On a side note, would anyone like to jump off a bridge with me without a bungee cord? It's my Right as an American, goddamn it! Fvck the Man!!

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Yup Live hard, die young, leave a beautiful corpse.
I feel sorry for his parents and family though. I hate it when people you know die in crashes :(

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
did he atleast donate his organs? if not..what an ass. cuz otherwise i don't mind actions that only injure the person who makes that decision.