Student Wants To Start Caucasian Club At High School...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Why are other groups called the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Believe it or not, but assimilation is a bad thing. While every american believes in core values such as liberty and freedom, and adhere to a set of rules call democracy, we all want to maintain close ties with our heritage. Our beliefs aside, americans are very diverse people and disregarding the ethnic background that we all have for a more generic american is asinine. This is what makes us special.

A "caucasian" club is nothing other than a rash and ill-thought out response to minorities fraternizing. Seriously, what would they talk about in such a club? My answer would be two things: what the larger community (read: city, state, country, or institution) is discussing or why we are "better" than them. Again, it is not a good idea.

As for minority clubs, they are not only vibrant (read: views from different perspective and exotic topics) but they're also open for all to join.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Why are other groups called the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People?
Damn are you really that historically-challenged?! Slavery or Jim Crow ring a bell? Oh I know . . . the NAACP was formed to get black people into ice hockey, tennis, and golf.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
Believe it or not, but assimilation is a bad thing. While every american believes in core values such as liberty and freedom, and adhere to a set of rules call democracy, we all want to maintain close ties with our heritage. Our beliefs aside, americans are very diverse people and disregarding the ethnic background that we all have for a more generic american is asinine. This is what makes us special.

A "caucasian" club is nothing other than a rash and ill-thought out response to minorities fraternizing. Seriously, what would they talk about in such a club? My answer would be two things: what the larger community (read: city, state, country, or institution) is discussing or why we are "better" than them. Again, it is not a good idea.

As for minority clubs, they are not only vibrant (read: views from different perspective and exotic topics) but they're also open for all to join.

Every one of your paragraphs contradicts the last.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

I must have missed something but, para 3 seems to conflict with para 1 given that minority clubs would need to assimilate the non minority who joined.. Sorry, I'm a bit thick, I guess.

A caucasian club might discuss the assimilation of other clubs or how to recognize the diversity among them or develop greater insight into their own 'European' history from the unbiased teachers of such.

In Northern Ireland being a White Catholic is a minority too.. so that means if I start a club there it would be ok... lets call it the IRA. It is vibrant at least..

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Admittedly, the first two paragraphs are lame but I must admit the last almost works.

As opposed to the historical legacy of majority organizations excluding minorities . . . most enlightened minority groups readily accept and invite members from diverse backgrounds. That doesn't mean minority groups always respect the ideals of their origins. Accordingly, any group that creates an aura of exclusion should be immediately disbanded.

Even a "new' look at the majority view can be benefit to all people willing to review history with an open mind.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Well you guys are very kind to Dari, I have to admit. Personally, I find each paragraph also to be internally contradictory.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet

Every one of your paragraphs contradicts the last.

how do they contradict? The first paragraph discusses what makes us Americans. The second discusses what a majority club would discuss, which may be the "topic of the day" nationally. The third complements the first because it sees the benefit of minority voices to the majority.

I see it less as a contradiction and more as a paradox of what it means to be American.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Well you guys are very kind to Dari, I have to admit. Personally, I find each paragraph also to be internally contradictory.

I want a minority clown club... maybe I'll take off of my head my bag and assimilate into the club. But, you must insure short dumpy folks like me can join even if I qualify as being a majority minority in quest of someone less than me..:) In all respects...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: LunarRay

I want a minority clown club... maybe I'll take off of my head my bag and assimilate into the club. But, you must insure short dumpy folks like me can join even if I qualify as being a majority minority in quest of someone less than me..:) In all respects...
That reminds me of the time when Mulla Nasrudin first got married and first saw his new brides face. She asked him what his rules were about her veil and whether she should wear it with close company. The Mulla replied that he didn't care who she wore or didn't wear it in front of so long as she never took it off in front of him.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: LunarRay
So you're saying the Mulla prefers camels?

The the Mulla's favorites are donkeys.

I thought you'd say nahh... he smokes cigars.. but, donkey fits.. they are quite aware of what they intend to do ... or not do.. :)

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
To accomodate the request of LunarRay for his Minority Clown Club -

I submit that we start our own.

I nominate LunarRay to be the President
and Moonbeam to be the Vice President
of . . .

The Yodeling Mimes.

I'll accept appointment as Treasurer - send Money.