student expelled from Parkway High for a year for having Advil

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Article

A student expelled from Parkway High for a year for having Advil, an over-the-counter pain reliever, will not be allowed to return to the school.

Kelly Herpin and daughter Amanda Stiles, a sophomore, appealed the one-year expulsion to a Bossier Parish School Board committee Thursday night, spending about 10 minutes with the board's administrative committee behind closed doors.

The committee and the full board voted unanimously to uphold an administrative decision that Stiles be expelled to the alternative school.

School boards hold such hearings in a closed session, but parents have the right under state law to request that such sessions be open. Herpin didn't make that request but did speak to reporters after the hearing. She left before the board voted on her request but learned of its decision by phone.

"I'm not really sure at this point what we'll do," Herpin said. "I'm going to have to talk to my husband, and we're going to have to make some plans. I'm not sure we could afford a private school. We've been looking at moving to another area."

She would have to sue the School Board to continue fighting the expulsion.

Superintendent Ken Kruithof said after the board meeting that the school system is following a state law that requires a one-year expulsion and being consistent in the system's "zero-tolerance" policy.

But another school official said earlier Thursday that having medication on campus doesn't automatically lead to a one-year expulsion. "After an investigation and a hearing then, if necessary, punishment is administered. It could be no punishment," said Betty McCauley, Bossier schools student services director.

Disciplinary action can range from in-school suspension to placement at the system's alternative school or expulsion from the system. From Aug. 11 through Wednesday, 18 students were sent to the system's alternative school because of possessing "pills," according to a report system officials compiled. However, Kruithof said he didn't know if the category covered nonprescription, prescription and illegal drugs or only nonprescription drugs.

State guidelines define medication as "all prescription and nonprescription drugs," McCauley said Thursday afternoon. McCauley hears discipline appeals from parents dissatisfied with discipline imposed by school principals.

McCauley declined comment after the hearing, referring questions to Kruithof. So did District 11 board member Gary Dowden, who heads the administrative committee.

Kruithof didn't respond directly to questions about McCauley's statements but emphasized that state law requires a one-year expulsion.

Herpin considers Stiles an "average student" in both grades and behavior but said Stiles never got in serious enough trouble to warrant an expulsion. Kruithof said Stiles had other disciplinary incidents in the past but said he didn't know if they resulted in suspensions.

The search of Stiles' purse that turned up the medication came after a tip from a teacher about a student smoking at school. Herpin said her daughter was part of a group that was searched in response to the tip.

Kruithof said a teacher identifed Stiles as the student smoking a cigarette and that Stiles ran into a restroom, where a teacher searched only her purse.

No cigarettes or lighters were found. Stiles was not disciplined for tobacco-related violations.

Students caught smoking usually are suspended.

"I think a one-year expulsion for an over-the-counter medicine is pretty severe," Herpin said.

Stiles said she carried the medicine in her purse because she got frequent headaches.

"I just never thought about the fact that I could be searched. I think we're old enough to know how many (pills) we can take without overdosing or being in danger."

Article

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Wow! That's ridiculous, even if she was smoking. Hell, if she was smoking drugs that's still ridiculous. Another case of: Zero Tolerence = Zero Sense

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Could they not make little tiny exceptions to zero tolerance rules? I mean, people do get headaches and upset stomachs from time to time. It doesn't make them a criminal.
rolleye.gif
Why do parents put up with this nonsense?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Could they not make little tiny exceptions to zero tolerance rules? I mean, people do get headaches and upset stomachs from time to time. It doesn't make them a criminal.
rolleye.gif
But then it wouldn't be that cool hardline zero tolerance thingy ;)

All the more reason to homeschool or send your kids to private school. Good question though, why do the parents put up with this?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
rolleye.gif

Because the sheep are perfectly happy grazing the fields under the Control of the Nanny State.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
"Teaching should be such that what is offered is perceived as a valuable gift and not as a hard duty." -- Albert Einstein

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, scince for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despiceable an ignoreable war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." -- Albert Einstein

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Not only should she be expelled, she should be jailed, and then on her parole be forced to lecture at local highschools regarding the dangers and evils of Advil use. Won't someone PLEASE think of the CHILDREN?!

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
rolleye.gif

She's also a girl, so she'll get cramps every once in a while.

Talk about compassion.

m0ti

Jul 6, 2001
I can just imagine a doctor giving someone a prescription "3 times a day, during meals." Nope, can't take it to school to take with lunch.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: m0ti
I can just imagine a doctor giving someone a prescription "3 times a day, during meals." Nope, can't take it to school to take with lunch.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

That's actually a very good defense for Lawyers. Very Good.