stuck on windows loading screen

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I just built a new rig, and it worked fine for about a week. Now it won't go past the windows loading screen. I have tried all different configurations with my RAM, dual channel, single channel, only one stick of ram. My specs are eVGA NF 41 SLI mobo, X2 3800 cpu, eVGA 7800 GT graphics, 2gb OCZ platinum ram, Maxtor diamondmax 10 300gb hdd. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am totally lost on what to do, and I don't want to give up on my new rig and take it to a computer repair store.

AMDCrazy

Banned
Aug 18, 2005
Try to clear CMOS if you can(jumper on mobo). If that don't work try to do a repair install of Windows.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
There are a few things that you should try:

1) Try a minimal boot - take out all non-essential hardware (only thing in the computer should be hard drive, cpu, 1 stick of RAM in the first memory bank, and video card) see if it boots normally. If it does, add hardware back until you get a problem, if it does not boot then try
2) Try booting into safe mode, you can do this by pressing f8 before you get to the windows splash screen

Also, make sure that you are running everything at stock speeds and voltages and that all fans are plugged in and running.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Well, I got up today and I just wanted to see how long it would stay on the windows loading screen. So I booted it up and started reading my mobo manual, and after about 5 mins windows finally loaded. I didn't try any of your suggestions yet but it will boot into safe mode with no problem.