Structural Engineers...

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
I need structural work done on one of my homes (it's a three-family house with noticeably sagging floors that need to be jacked up from the basement). Naturally, while I've researched how one could do this on their own (the process itself is pretty simple), I have no intentions of doing this myself and would like to hire a structural engineer for the dirty work.

I'm in Boston. Are there any particular licenses/insurance policies I should be asking candidates to furnish?

While we're here, any ideas how much something like this typically costs?

Nov 5, 2001
Hire a design-build contractor that will employ a structural designer to work with them in correcting the problem.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Can you see why it's sagging? Are you prepared for the cracks that will emerge?

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
Nov 5, 2001
you will have to get quotes from how ever many firms you wish. The fees could vary widely, but probably in the $1,500-$3,000 range would be my guess. They will need to be licensed and have to provide E&O insurance and general liability. There may not be a lot of work involved on their part, but you pay for the stamp.

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Can you see why it's sagging? Are you prepared for the cracks that will emerge?

The sag seems to be not far from the stairs to the basement, which jives with a lot of my research on old house sags (mine is 1873). I guess structurally this is a common weak point in older buildings.

Cracks should only emerge if the correction happens too quickly... something along the line of a 1/8" or less per day raise should prevent cracking. Of course, that's why I'm hiring a professional, so somebody can be responsible for fixing the side effects if/when they occur :)