Stronglifts 5x5

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
WTF, I signed up, how do I get the program? I am wanting a routine to follow and I cant seem to find it. What am I missing?

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
From the same page, the actual routine is:

Workout A
Squat 5×5
Bench Press 5×5
Barbell Rows 5×5

Workout B
Squat 5×5
Overhead Press 5×5
Deadlift 1×5

Basically just alternate between A and B giving at least a day between workouts.

Apr 17, 2003

I glanced over this program...I was reading over week 1 and it says "Remember, the weight you use should be light enough to do four reps, but heavy enough so you can't do more than 6 reps. Each set should be done to positive failure."

How the hell would I know what that weight it???

Also, I can't access the links to any of their videos...it says "Preview DNS is not enabled for this hosting account."

Last edited:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
In my opinion, as a beginner the weight shouldn't be so heavy that you can't do more than six reps. That's stupid and a recipe for hurting yourself and/or learning bad habits, since there's no way form is going to be anywhere near perfect in week 1 and it's hard enough to perfect without worrying about the weight on your back.

Disclaimer: didn't read the program

Last edited:

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
Honestly, I would just start with the bar and work up. You'll thank yourself later. You'll have much better form practice this way. Don't rush it.

"It's not a sprint"

Mar 22, 2002
Honestly, I would just start with the bar and work up. You'll thank yourself later. You'll have much better form practice this way. Don't rush it.

"It's not a sprint"

Yep, this is good advice. It's not just because you're working your form, but it gives your body appropriate time to adapt to the stimulus. This means that over the first few weeks, your ligament, tendon, and muscle tensile strength will increase in addition to your bone density. If you rush it, some of those may lag behind and you'll be fighting injuries as you keep pushing. Take your time, respect your body, and perfect your form.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
I glanced over this program...I was reading over week 1 and it says "Remember, the weight you use should be light enough to do four reps, but heavy enough so you can't do more than 6 reps. Each set should be done to positive failure."

How the hell would I know what that weight it???

Also, I can't access the links to any of their videos...it says "Preview DNS is not enabled for this hosting account."

it is giving you a rep range. you need to read through the workout and follow the principles, not just "glance" through it.

If you did 5x5, how would you know what weight to start with to get 5 reps? why would the max-ot be any different? shoot for 5.

I don't know what the video issues are, as I am not affiliated with them or their website. but the lifts are the basics, bench, squat, deads for the most part. You should be able to youtube them if you need help on form

I can tell you if you want a workout that requires the least amount of time in the gym for big strength and size gains, max-ot is it

for references search:
skip la cour max ot
or
Jeff willet max ot

other link
http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-max-ot-workout-a-full-and-in-depth-review.html - read some of the comments at the bottom

Last edited:

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
Where is a good video for form or a gif, so that I know I am doing it right
I like the "So You Think You Can Bench" series on YouTube. In addition, Mark Rippetoe also does a good job explaining a lot of the exercises. He is sort of a windbag but he knows what is going on. Sometimes when I need a refresher, Exrx.net works too.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
it is giving you a rep range. you need to read through the workout and follow the principles, not just "glance" through it.

If you did 5x5, how would you know what weight to start with to get 5 reps? why would the max-ot be any different? shoot for 5.

I don't know what the video issues are, as I am not affiliated with them or their website. but the lifts are the basics, bench, squat, deads for the most part. You should be able to youtube them if you need help on form

I can tell you if you want a workout that requires the least amount of time in the gym for big strength and size gains, max-ot is it

for references search:
skip la cour max ot
or
Jeff willet max ot

other link
http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-max-ot-workout-a-full-and-in-depth-review.html - read some of the comments at the bottom

The 5x5 program tells you how, if you read it. :)