Strom Thurmond's Net Worth only $200,000 when he died? WTF

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sciencetoy

Oct 10, 2001
It's called Estate Planning. You gotta admit if you're that old death isn't going to be a surprise, and he had good access to the dudes that wrote the laws about avoiding estate taxes.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Gage
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: ness1469

That, and he probably gave a lot of it away as he got up there in age. What's a billion year old man need with millions of dollars of assets?

Ask Anna Nicole Smith

He gave a lot of money away period. I sent him a graduation invitation and he sent me $20. My mom sent him an invitation to her wedding (back in 70) and he gave her one of those cake server things. To my knowledge, we don't even know the guy. He was always sponsoring some festival or something. He seemed like a really nice person.

In fifty years Strom will be viewed in a different light. Without LBJ's power over the senate the civil rights act of 1964 would have been really watered down. Abe's assassination caused reconstruction to go down the toilet. Major faults can be found in any of these three men.
That said, Strom was as sly as a fox, a genuine political animal. Just as the other two i noted were and NO Strom is not in their class. If any of us could hide our real assets from the Feds, who among us would not.:)

imported_Pablo

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2002
Originally posted by: galvanizedyankee
Originally posted by: ness1469 That, and he probably gave a lot of it away as he got up there in age. What's a billion year old man need with millions of dollars of assets?
Ask Anna Nicole Smith
He gave a lot of money away period. I sent him a graduation invitation and he sent me $20. My mom sent him an invitation to her wedding (back in 70) and he gave her one of those cake server things. To my knowledge, we don't even know the guy. He was always sponsoring some festival or something. He seemed like a really nice person.
In fifty years Strom will be viewed in a different light. Without LBJ's power over the senate the civil rights act of 1964 would have been really watered down. Abe's assassination caused reconstruction to go down the toilet. Major faults can be found in any of these three men. That said, Strom was as sly as a fox, a genuine political animal. Just as the other two i noted were and NO Strom is not in their class. If any of us could hide our real assets from the Feds, who among us would not.:)

Respect for strom from "galvanizedyankee"? The world never ceases to amaze me!

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Those Attends/Depends are expensive even by the case...

Seriously though, he squirrelled it away to avoid an estate tax.

Strom had a 1/2 black daughter, he was pretty open about it, visited her @ college regularly etc.

Damn, I thought he hated black folk...at least in his younger days...hmmmmmmmmmmm

Maybe he did in his younger days but you know that saying:

Once you go black you never go back. ;)

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: PabloMartinez
Originally posted by: galvanizedyankee
Originally posted by: ness1469 That, and he probably gave a lot of it away as he got up there in age. What's a billion year old man need with millions of dollars of assets?
Ask Anna Nicole Smith
In fifty years Strom will be viewed in a different light. Without LBJ's power over the senate the civil rights act of 1964 would have been really watered down. Abe's assassination caused reconstruction to go down the toilet. Major faults can be found in any of these three men. That said, Strom was as sly as a fox, a genuine political animal. Just as the other two i noted were and NO Strom is not in their class. If any of us could hide our real assets from the Feds, who among us would not.:)
Pablo, I do not respect Strom. A true view of history comes over time.
As a nation we have yet to come to terms with ours. I doubt we ever will. I will be long dead
and the repercussions of slavery will linger. We all pay a price for history, even our personal
history.

Respect for strom from "galvanizedyankee"? The world never ceases to amaze me!

;)

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Senators don't make very much, when you consider they have to keep two residences, and pay a large staff.

Guess what! I just heard on the radio news that a lady is claiming to be the mixed daughter of Strom Thurmond. He privately recognised her as his daughter and has been supporting her.

Here's the story: Illegitimate daughter. Dang! She's old!

I wonder what his net worth will be when she's done. . . . Hehehe! :p

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
He could have put everything he had in a trust that wouldn't show up as personal net worth. You can believe he had much more than $200,000.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
You can bury a lot of your assets inside various accounts, non-taxable posessions, and some other stuff, I believe. that conceals your net worth quite a bit. under certain circumstances, its tax fraud. under others (theres a legal way to go about it, too), its just a sound financial plan.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Amorphus
You can bury a lot of your assets inside various accounts, non-taxable posessions, and some other stuff, I believe. that conceals your net worth quite a bit. under certain circumstances, its tax fraud. under others (theres a legal way to go about it, too), its just a sound financial plan.

He gave most of his money away over the years. He also lived in a hospital the last several years of his life. I doubt he had that much more hidden away. He also had an ex wife and children.