Strom Thurmond's Net Worth only $200,000 when he died? WTF

hawkeye81x

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2001
If he was a good man, he must have donated a lot to the church or some charity.
If he was a bad man, booze, hookers, and too many trips to Atlantic City under the guise of one Guy Incognito.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
He probably set up family trusts and foundations years ago to shield his money from estate taxes. That and the hoes.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Those Attends/Depends are expensive even by the case...

Seriously though, he squirrelled it away to avoid an estate tax.

Strom had a 1/2 black daughter, he was pretty open about it, visited her @ college regularly etc.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

Strom had a 1/2 black daughter, he was pretty open about it, visited her @ college regularly etc.

Damn, I thought he hated black folk...at least in his younger days...hmmmmmmmmmmm

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002

That means that his daughter was like 60, right???? She was in college?? Maybe a great-grand daughter..................................

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: NFS4

Damn, I thought he hated black folk...at least in his younger days...hmmmmmmmmmmm

When he was younger (~125 years ago), he was, um how do you say .. . bias perhaps. However, he did do a full 180 and actually created a lot of civil rights anti-discrimation type legislation. Like most things in politics people affix to the bad things that somebody has done moreso than the good things.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000

Not at all.
He has publically, and folks general think sincerly, denounced his racist views.
Strom loves black folks and vice versa in South Carolina.
His approval rating among blacks in SC is somethign crazy like 80%

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Babbles

When he was younger (~125 years ago), he was, um how do you say .. . bias perhaps. However, he did do a full 180 and actually created a lot of civil rights anti-discrimation type legislation. Like most things in politics people affix to the bad things that somebody has done moreso than the good things.

Sure. He only ran for president on an anti-civil rights platform in 1948.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Does he have any kids? Did he willed them anything? It could be so that the kids don't have to pay ridiculous taxes. Just like the Kenedy's.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: AvesPKS

Yeah, and that was what, 55 years ago? Lots of things have changed in the last 55 years, not the least of which was many people.

imported_Pablo

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose Those Attends/Depends are expensive even by the case... Seriously though, he squirrelled it away to avoid an estate tax. Strom had a 1/2 black daughter, he was pretty open about it, visited her @ college regularly etc.
Yeah, and that was what, 55 years ago? Lots of things have changed in the last 55 years, not the least of which was many people.

Towards the latter 25 years of his senatehood (is that a word?) Strom had developed an extensive staff that made less-biased decisions for him, or at least helped him to be "less controversial." Most accounts have him remaining the same stubborn man up until his death! But he wasn't necessarily a bad senator in his later years, but he was much less influential.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
You have to consider than he was a politician his entire life and that most of his housing was probably paid for by the government, therefore, when he dies it once again belongs to the government.

That, and he probably gave a lot of it away as he got up there in age. What's a billion year old man need with millions of dollars of assets?

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb

Oh, I will concede the point that, in order to remain in office, he had to represent his constituency and some of their newfound abilities to vote. However, I don't think that someone like Strom Thurmond could really change all that much.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ness1469

That, and he probably gave a lot of it away as he got up there in age. What's a billion year old man need with millions of dollars of assets?

Ask Anna Nicole Smith

Gage

Jan 30, 2000
Originally posted by: ness1469

Ask Anna Nicole Smith

He gave a lot of money away period. I sent him a graduation invitation and he sent me $20. My mom sent him an invitation to her wedding (back in 70) and he gave her one of those cake server things. To my knowledge, we don't even know the guy. He was always sponsoring some festival or something. He seemed like a really nice person.