Strikeforce: Alistair Overeem vs Fabricio Werdum [ June 18, 2011 aka THIS SATURDAY ]

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Strikeforce-Grand-Prix.jpg

Uh oh, I did it...

consequences-will-never-be-the-same.jpg

Let's face it, MMA talk is dead and I'm bringing it back.

Main card (Showtime)

REEM.gif

Heavyweight Grand Prix Quarterfinal bout: Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum[1]

ROGERS.gif

Heavyweight Grand Prix Quarterfinal bout: Josh Barnett vs. Brett Rogers[1]

noons.gif

Lightweight bout: K.J. Noons vs. Jorge Masvidal[1]

6.gif

Heavyweight bout: Daniel Cormier vs. Jeff Monson[1]

5.gif

Heavyweight bout: Valentijn Overeem vs. Chad Griggs[1]

Preliminary Card (HDNet)
Lightweight bout: Gesias Cavalcante vs. Justin Wilcox[1]
Lightweight bout: Conor Heun vs. Magno Almeida[1]
Welterweight bout: Nah-Shon Burrell vs. Joe Ray
Welterweight bout: Todd Moore vs. Mike Bronzoulis[1]
Welterweight bout: Brian Melancon vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg[1]

Pretty nice card we got here, consisting of 2 fights from the SF HW GP. My picks are in bold.

Breakdown for the 2 HW GP fights:

- Werdum has absolutely no fucking chance. Yes, he subbed Fedor Emelianenko but that was mainly due to Fedor's carelessness. Alistair is a very smart person and won't be as reckless as Fedor.. the same strategy of faking getting hit and subbing Alistair won't work. Alistair also has around 15-16 submission victories and has won an ADCC european championship so he's no slouch on the ground.

Alistair by KO, rd 1.

- On paper and credentials, Barnett should easily run through Rogers but you can never count Rogers out with that power he packs. I think of Rogers as a SF version of poor man's version of Carwin.

Barnett via sub, rd 2.

Post SF: Werdum vs Overeem

From this weekend we learned JDS is clearly the #1 contender to the UFC HW Championship. I personally consider JDS as the uncrowned champion considering he has a much better record than Cain, but stylistically JDS may be at a disadvantage due to Cain's well-roundedness composing of his insanely fedor-esque cardio, standup, and wrestling along with BJJ.

After this event, Overeem should be fighting Bigfoot and Barnett should go on to fight Kharitonov. I have Barnett winning one side and Alistair winning the other, and Alistair winning the entire thing and going on to face the winner of JDS/Cain for the UFC HW championship sometime in 2012 when the Showtime contracts expire and SF gets swallowed up into the UFC.

When Alistair wins the UFC HW Championship, and after Fedor gets some victories I want to finally see Fedor vs Alistair.

ph14b.jpg

Last edited:

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
I was going to give you props for living up to your word, but no longer. I did think about saying screw the bet, you lasted long enough, but no longer. :biggrin:

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
you can't bet something, and then renege on what you promised when you lost. you are a joke.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
- Werdum has absolutely no fucking chance. Yes, he subbed Fedor Emelianenko but that was mainly due to Fedor's carelessness. Alistair is a very smart person and won't be as reckless as Fedor.. the same strategy of faking getting hit and subbing Alistair won't work. Alistair also has around 15-16 submission victories and has won an ADCC european championship so he's no slouch on the ground.

Alistair by KO, rd 1.

When Alistair wins the UFC HW Championship, and after Fedor gets some victories I want to finally see Fedor vs Alistair.

I unblocked this message because I had a suspicion that LOL's would ensue, you did not disappoint me! Let's go over the bolded part, Werdum has already finished Roideristar Roidereem. R.R. had shitty TDD and will lose again. He would kill Werdum in K1, but this is MMA. To say Roider has submitted people is laughable, he *COULD* KO Werdum but that's the only way he wins. Fabricio is one of the best BJJ dudes on the planet, Roideristar's a white belt compared to him. Werdum wins this, just like he won the 1st fight. Why? Because R.R hasn't gotten any better in MMA since their 1st match up. He will get taken down, and will get subbed. I need to check the betting lines, I hope to god Werdum's a huge underdog here because that's easy money in my eyes.

I cleaned house when he beat Fedor, which was another fight that just about everyone on SD was claiming was absolutely impossible for him to win. I loved how they explained that Fedor getting subbed by 1 of the 5 best BJJ dudes on the planet (maybe top 3) was a fluke. Really?

As far as the UFC uhh no, Cain would beat him standing, or take him down and punch his face open. Cain's got SICK wrestling, and R.R has really bad TDD. Shit Roider's a perfect matchup stylistically for Cain. Yeah he has a punchers chance, but Cain is better at literally everything here. JDS also probably beats him, I would like to see Barry Vs Roidereem, that would be an interesting fight.

Last edited:

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
I unblocked this message because I had a suspicion that LOL's would ensue, you did not disappoint me! Let's go over the bolded part, Werdum has already finished Roideristar Roidereem. R.R. had shitty TDD and will lose again. He would kill Werdum in K1, but this is MMA. To say Roider has submitted people is laughable, he *COULD* KO Werdum but that's the only way he wins. Fabricio is one of the best BJJ dudes on the planet, Roideristar's a white belt compared to him. Werdum wins this, just like he won the 1st fight. Why? Because R.R hasn't gotten any better in MMA since their 1st match up. He will get taken down, and will get subbed. I need to check the betting lines, I hope to god Werdum's a huge underdog here because that's easy money in my eyes.

I cleaned house when he beat Fedor, which was another fight that just about everyone on SD was claiming was absolutely impossible for him to win. I loved how they explained that Fedor getting subbed by 1 of the 5 best BJJ dudes on the planet (maybe top 3) was a fluke. Really?

Yeah, because a fight that happened 5 years ago will go down exactly like it went down today... great logic.

Alistair back then was in his early 20s, was cutting to make 205 and that's why his cardio was shit... he's since then stopped cutting, bulked up and gained an enormous amount of strength, persevered and won the K1 GP championship, upped his ground game by training with Einemo ( guy who subbed Roger Gracie ).

Alistair takes this easily.

If Werdum can pull this off, he should be #1 HW though.

Last edited:

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
As far as the UFC uhh no, Cain would beat him standing, or take him down and punch his face open. Cain's got SICK wrestling, and R.R has really bad TDD. Shit Roider's a perfect matchup stylistically for Cain. Yeah he has a punchers chance, but Cain is better at literally everything here. JDS also probably beats him, I would like to see Barry Vs Roidereem, that would be an interesting fight.

Cain is definitely the biggest test for Reem, but I think Reem takes both JDS and Cain. It would be 60/40 in favor of Reem though.

Cain is better at literally everything here

Have you forgotten who the 2010 K1 GP world champ is?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Yeah, because a fight that happened 5 years ago will go down exactly like it went down today... great logic.

Yeah it will, Roider hasn't gotten any better in MMA. Look at his MMA fights since then, bums. Well aside from Big Nog, Arona & Shogun, who all destroyed him. Arona beat him with punches, since when was Arona known for his hands?

Oh that's right never. He loses to Werdum 9/10 times, it's the very definition of a "punchers chance"

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Cain is definitely the biggest test for Reem, but I think Reem takes both JDS and Cain. It would be 60/40 in favor of Reem though.

Have you forgotten who the 2010 K1 GP world champ is?

K1 isn't MMA. Here we go again.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Welcome back Woosta!

I missed your MMA musings - I really did!

I got Overeem and Barnett in these fights.

Overeem's Cardio and speed will be a problem for Werdum.

Barnett better show up well trained and back in form - if he does it will be an easy submission.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008

Sure K-1 isn't MMA, of course you have to be aware of takedowns and be weary of them with your fighting stance but Alistair's striking is practical for MMA.

Now if you were talking about a guy like Gokhan Saki who's just trying to do MMA, then I see your point considering he's completely new to MMA and isn't as submission/wrestling aware as his GG teammate Alistair.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

He'll never understand that, but to humor him I believe *IF* Cain went into K1 he would reek havok. He has crazy speed, good power and the heart of a champion. Of course that's all just my opinion as Cain will never fight in K1. I do know in MMA Cain is vasty better at all facets. While Roider is beating up on James Thompson & Gary Goodridge, Cain's beating up on world champs in MMA. There's no contest here.

Gary was the shit 15 years ago. Thompson was never good at all.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Yeah it will, Roider hasn't gotten any better in MMA. Look at his MMA fights since then, bums. Well aside from Big Nog, Arona & Shogun, who all destroyed him. Arona beat him with punches, since when was Arona known for his hands?

Oh that's right never. He loses to Werdum 9/10 times, it's the very definition of a "punchers chance"

I enjoyed Shogun KTFOing Alistair both times, actually.

But it's very apparent that Alistair is no longer who he once was.

alistair_overeem_timeline.jpg

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
He'll never understand that, but to humor him I believe *IF* Cain went into K1 he would reek havok. He has crazy speed, good power and the heart of a champion. Of course that's all just my opinion as Cain will never fight in K1. I do know in MMA Cain is vasty better at all facets. While Roider is beating up on James Thompson & Gary Goodridge, Cain's beating up on world champs in MMA. There's no contest here.

As of right now, I feel we are seeing a new trend in the HW division, at least in MMA. Speed is becoming a big plus against these giant guys that seem to gas rather quickly. Now if the big guys are able to get it to the ground and control their opponents, then maybe the trend will change.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008

Cain Velasquez has great striking for MMA. He would get destroyed in K-1.

This is yet another example of Zuffa hype getting to you. Did you forget that his only legitimate victory, really, is Brock Lesnar? And did you know that Brock Lesnar lacks standup?

You say Cain's beating up world champs. What world champs? That's plural... Brock was the *only* champion.

Sure, Nog is a former champion but Nog is practically a punching bag at this stage in his career after all the wars he's had.

Also, if this was a K-1 match, would Cain have won?

2a6j91u.jpg

Cain has not outstruck anyone with legit striking skills who isn't a zombie. If Cain outstrikes JDS then you have an argument. Until then...

ph14b.jpg

Last edited:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I enjoyed Shogun KTFOing Alistair both times, actually.

But it's very apparent that Alistair is no longer who he once was.

alistair_overeem_timeline.jpg

Well I'm sure you've heard the saying

The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Putting on tons of muscle mass due to roids isn't going to make him a better MMA fighter, he's no tougher. I don't care how big he is, put him in there against even a LHW like Jon Jones and he would probably end up retiring due to the beating he took.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
It's sickening because everyone on Cain/JDS's balls were on Brock/Duffee's balls 1-2 years ago. It's all Zuffa hype.

First you believe in that "next generation" HW after seeing Lesnar and Duffee, then once Lesnar gets demolished everyone jumps on the Cain bandwagon, now everyone jumps on the JDS bandwagon..

Sickening. Bunch of fairweather fans.

Last edited:

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Well I'm sure you've heard the saying

The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Putting on tons of muscle mass due to roids isn't going to make him a better MMA fighter, he's no tougher. I don't care how big he is, put him in there against even a LHW like Jon Jones and he would probably end up retiring due to the beating he took.

This is useless muscle mass:

Mariusz-2.jpg

Alistair can actually use his muscles unlike Pudz.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
It's sickening because everyone on Cain/JDS's balls were on Brock/Duffee's balls 1-2 years ago. It's all Zuffa hype.

First you believe in that "next generation" HW after seeing Lesnar and Duffee, then once Lesnar gets demolished everyone jumps on the Cain bandwagon, now everyone jumps on the JDS bandwagon..

Sickening.

Brock's still legit, his MMA resume is far better than Roidereem's. If you even try to argue this I'll put you on ignore again, this time for good.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
After Saturday Alistair's resume will be more legit than Brock's in terms of recent MMA wins/competition.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Werdum claims he has a surprise... he's probably just bullshitting but I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the fight off with a flying kick / flying knee, rolling kick or maybe even pull guard and invite Reem into his guard.