Strider Essential 600W vs Silencer Mark iii 400W

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by Mutant_Guy, Jan 20, 2013.

?

What i have to do?

1. Keep Strider Essential 600W and sell Silencer Mark iii 400W

2. Replace Silencer mark iii 400W and Sell Strider essential 600W

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mutant_Guy

Mutant_Guy Member

My System:
    i5-3570k
    B75 Micro ATX board
    2x 4GB DDR3 Hyper X
    1TB WD Blue + 120GB intel 330
    DVD RW (internal)
    Onboard Graphic (HD4000)
    Strider Essential 600W

Now i won a Silencer mark iii 400W on ebay for a fair price. Is it wise to change my Stirder Essential 600W with silencer mark ii 400W. I always felt 600W is a over kill. and this silencer is semi modular. But my main factors are
    1) Saving Energy
    2) Protecting my Components

Help me ASAP

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Strider Essential 600W Forum Date
    Antec Truepower or Silverstone Strider plus? Power Supplies May 16, 2012
    SilverStone Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W Power Supplies Sep 21, 2011
    Will Silverstone Strider 400W be enough? Power Supplies May 9, 2011
    SILVERSTONE Strider Gold ST85F-G 850W Power Supplies Feb 19, 2011
    Are 6 pin and 6+2 pin essentially the same? Power Supplies Feb 18, 2010

3. max347

max347 Platinum Member

How old is the strider?

4. DSF

DSF Diamond Member

600W is overkill for your PC. Even 400W is way more than that computer will ever draw from the wall. Out of curiosity, why did you buy the new PSU on eBay without knowing whether you were going to swap it in or not?

5. Mutant_Guy

Mutant_Guy Member

5 1/2 month od..
    Usage 8hrs per day
    In Future i might use more than 5 hours

#4 Mutant_Guy, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  6. Mutant_Guy

Mutant_Guy Member

Because it was way cheap.. $30 dollars.. He has bought one but couldn't fix in his casing with out hindering the DVD Drive.. So he is selling it.. Now i got the deal..

7. Blastman

Blastman Golden Member

It's a tough call. The Silverstone 600W is 80+ and he PCP-Cooling 400W is 80+ Bronze.

You can check how they did in the standard testing …

PCP-Cooling.pdf 400W

Silverstone.pdf 600W

At 20% load the Silverstone 600W was 83.07% efficient and the PCP-Cooling 400W was 83.57% efficient -- not much difference (85.85% vs 84.57% at 50% load). Best case you will probably see about 1% or slightly better efficiency out of the 400W unit, which will be hardly noticeable. It hard to tell how these units compare at < 100W as that info is not available on those tests.

The 600W unit probably has a better selection of cable/connections as lower powered units like the 400W tend to very limited connections such as PCIE connectors. So the 600W unit might be a better PSU in the long run if you ever add a graphics card. It's a tough call, but you will be OK with either unit.

8. Mutant_Guy

Mutant_Guy Member

But my worries. May be with 600W my typical loading will be less than 20% so 400W will suit me

9. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

I'd switch in the MK III and sell the 600W unit. You will definitely get better efficiency out of the lower wattage bronze unit... you PC is so low power with not even a discrete graphics card. Your idle wattage will be around 10% of the 400w unit, load wattage 25%

#8 lehtv, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  10. Blastman

Blastman Golden Member

Ya, I agree with lehtv, if your priority is saving energy, then go with the 400W Bronze unit as it has a better rating and will be more efficient -- especially at lower loads.

11. Mutant_Guy

Mutant_Guy Member

This is not a requirement .. Just to know will this PSU support GTX 660 in future? I don't have plan but just asking...

12. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

Yes, MK III 400W will support GTX 660. The card requires one 6-pin connector and the unit has one.

13. Mutant_Guy

Mutant_Guy Member

But Nvidia recommend min 450W..
    1) why Graphic card manufacture give overated min requirement?
    2) if they are concerning cheap PSU's why cheap PSU wattage is over rated?

Both questions are not related to each other but i have the doubt in mind

14. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

1) Because they take into account the fact that there are a lot of mediocre units on the market that are overrated. I'm not saying their recommendations are based on the absolute lowest common denominator, but they are not based on highly reliable units either.

2) That's a good question. On the one hand, it is false advertising which is allowed because almost no one, apart from professional power supply reviewers, has a system capable of pushing units to high enough load to expose their overrated wattage label. But it also stems from the fact that there's no regulation that controls whether the advertised wattage is peak wattage or continous wattage. Mediocre units typically advertise peak wattage which is temporarily achievable but not sustainable for long periods of time, while high quality units advertise the continuous wattage which can be sustained as a typical load wattage of the system for the duration of the unit's warranty. The MK III 400W is rated for 400 watts continuously at 50°C, and it's covered by 5 year warranty.

Here's the thing. If you have a power supply from a good quality manufacturer or a reputable brand, and it has one 6-pin PCIe connector, you can 100% count on it that it will support any graphics card that requires one 6-pin PCIe connector in an otherwise average system such as yours. It doesn't matter what the wattage label on the box says. There is a limit to how much power you can draw from a 6-pin connector, and the manufacturer of the unit has taken this into account when designing what connectors to include for the wattage level provided.

15. Mutant_Guy

Mutant_Guy Member

Thank you so much... I forget the fact " max power from a 6-pin connector & pci-E"

16. Mutant_Guy

Mutant_Guy Member

If I am not wrong
    PCI-E 75W
    six-pin 75W
    eight-pin 150W

And the Maximum power mentioned is 140W for GTX 660 So which is under 150W
    (pci-e 75W + 6pin 75W)

17. Mutant_Guy

Mutant_Guy Member

Strider essential mention that it has UVP
    But Silencer mk iii only meniton OVP not UVP.

Will that be a issue in mk iii? My area power is not that healthy. But I have a UPS that is just a Backup UPS.