Street Racer Fscks Up Royally

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Tongan Royal Family Members Killed in Crash
By TERENCE CHEA, AP

SAN FRANCISCO (July 7) - A prince from the South Pacific island nation of Tonga who was known to his people as a voice for political reforms died along with his wife when a teenager crashed into their sport utility vehicle, authorities said.

Prince Tu'ipelehake, 56, and Princess Kaimana, 46, were killed in the crash Wednesday night, according to Senter Uhilamoelangi, a distant relative and longtime friend of the prince.

"His voice we'll never hear again, but his legacy is going to live on," said Uhilamoelangi, a Tonga native and East Palo Alto resident.

He said the couple had arrived in the area earlier this week to discuss political reforms with members of the region's Tongan community. Uhilamoelangi helped arrange the visit.

San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault confirmed that two members of Tonga's royal family died in the crash, but he would not release their names until the Tongan government made an official announcement.

Tu'ipelehake, a nephew of 88-year-old King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV, was the leading reformist in the royal family and headed a national committee studying democratic reforms.

The deaths stunned the Tongan community. The prince had been scheduled to speak at a Tongan church in San Bruno on Thursday night, but the event turned into a memorial service. The prince's sister, Princess Mele Siuilikutapu Kalaniuvalu Fotofili, sat on the stage crying throughout the service.

"He tried to keep the connection with the Tongan people in America," said the Rev. Kalatini Ahio.

In a statement, New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters praised the prince's efforts at reforming Tonga's political system and said it was a "tragedy" that he died while traveling travel to the United States to seek out opinions of Tongans. He said Tu'ipelehake was called the "Prince of the People."

The driver of the red Ford Explorer carrying the couple also was killed, the California Highway Patrol said.

Edith Delgado, 18, of Redwood City, allegedly was racing her car at speeds up to 100 mph on a highway in Menlo Park, about 30 miles south of San Francisco, when she tried to pass the SUV in which the couple was traveling, said highway patrol Officer Ricky Franklin.

Delgado's car slammed into the driver's side of the Explorer, causing it to swerve across several lanes before tumbling to a stop on its roof, Franklin said. Delgado, who was not injured, was jailed on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter and engaging in a speed contest, Franklin said.

Tonga -- a 170-island archipelago about halfway between Australia and Tahiti -- has a population of about 108,000 and an economy dependent on pumpkin and vanilla exports, fishing, foreign aid and remittances from Tongans abroad.

Now the last monarchy in the Pacific, Tonga has been a Polynesian kingdom and a protectorate of Britain, from which it acquired independence in 1970.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Dumb racers ruin another life. Some kid in my community wrapped his car around the tree when he was racing. He survived, but I think he isn't "all there." I feel sorry for him, but at the same time, I think he's pretty stupid.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Tell me again why anybody could think it's a good idea to drive that fast?

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Wondering how she managed to slam into the drivers side while trying to pass? Was she in an underpowered stickered pos and incoming was going too fast?

Wonder what went through her mind when she found out she just killed a fcken prince and princess.

That, and how'd they die? Were they wearing seatbelts?

EDIT: Ok, they make no mention of another car. Perhaps she wasn't racing and was driving at 100mph and is a horrible driver?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
i prefered the title over on TCL.

"Explorer roll-over kills members of the Tonganese royal family"

would make for a much more interesting thread :D

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: oboeguy

There are situations in which it is completely safe to travel at those speeds... obviously this wasn't one of them... but the fact still remains.

booger711

Platinum Member
Jun 15, 2004
Originally posted by: txrandom
Dumb racers ruin another life. Some kid in my community wrapped his car around the tree when he was racing. He survived, but I think he isn't "all there." I feel sorry for him, but at the same time, I think he's pretty stupid.

reading comprehension...

liquidblue

Jan 20, 2005
In just about any street, it's dangerous because the of road conditions (bumps and dips). At least she's 18 and will be convicted (if) as an adult. Keep it in the track, damnit.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: AbsolutDealage

There are situations in which it is completely safe to travel at those speeds... obviously this wasn't one of them... but the fact still remains.

On a racetrack, yes. On a public road, you're going to have a hard time convincing me.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: NogginBoink

On a racetrack, yes. On a public road, you're going to have a hard time convincing me.

nascar? sure. formula 1? sure. drag racing? sure. police in pursuit of a wreckless driver? sure. being the idiot wreckless driver? no.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: fisher

nascar? sure. formula 1? sure. drag racing? sure. police in pursuit of a wreckless driver? sure. being the idiot wreckless driver? no.

While I'm not condoning this, it wasn't that fast.

up to 100 mph

You make it sound like she was going 180 or something. Up to 100 is probably more like 80-90...80-85 is like the normal speed on the highways around here...but suddenly that extra 10mph is insane and only meant for racetracks?

I've been on highways early in the morning on a Sunday and it's four lanes of emptiness. I have a feeling the part that contributed the most was it was a 18 year old driving a car beyond her, and the cars, capabilities.

Regardless...sad, sad story.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Originally posted by: notfred
Wierd - the racer was a chick. :confused:

I raced a girl once back then. She lost cause her car was lowered so low that it was bouncing uncontrollably so she had to slowed down.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Originally posted by: fisher

While I'm not condoning this, it wasn't that fast.

up to 100 mph

You make it sound like she was going 180 or something. Up to 100 is probably more like 80-90...80-85 is like the normal speed on the highways around here...but suddenly that extra 10mph is insane and only meant for racetracks?

I've been on highways early in the morning on a Sunday and it's four lanes of emptiness. I have a feeling the part that contributed the most was it was a 18 year old driving a car beyond her, and the cars, capabilities.

Regardless...sad, sad story.

100 mph is pretty fast, especially on a normal street (i didn't see where it listed what type of street they were on). you are right tho, up to 100 might have meant she was driving 80 most of the time but 100 for 2 minutes.

most of the street racing done around here (that has been reported because it resulted in a wreck) isn't on highways, it's on 4 lane roads in the city. while that type of speed is normal on 400 or 75/85 it's certainly not on roswell road or sandy plains (i know these names mean nothing to anyone who doesn't live here). i get the impression that most street racing isn't done on the highway, but i'm not really an expert.