streaming video to HTPC

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by LikeLinus, Jan 13, 2017.

1. LikeLinus

LikeLinus Lifer

Its pretty easy to stream audio from a browser or a PC to an AVR from another pc, but is there a way to stream video to an HTPC from a laptop, or Surface Pro in my instance? I'd like to share YouTube or Vemo videos from time to time, but I haven't found a simple way to do that other than the Xbox One. Problem is I want to do this mostly when we are using the HTPC (TV over IP). Any suggestions or ideals?

2. Loading...

3. Murloc

Murloc Diamond Member

why not use youtube directly on the HTPC?

If you have actual local files, you can use plex.

4. LikeLinus

LikeLinus Lifer

Because a lot of times one of us will be on our surface pros or laptops and find something we want to show on the big screen. Its much more of a hassle to close out WMC or Kodi, launch a browser and find the same video on whatever site its located. Also sometimes we will have video files that it would be nice to stream, rather than move to the NAS or a USB.

5. adamantine.me

adamantine.me Member

Sounds like you want to cast something from your device (a laptop, phone, etc) to the TV. Chromecast does that, though I haven't used it.

poofyhairguy likes this.
  6. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

Yup OP wants a Chromecast.

What I would suggest is look at seeing if a Nvidia Shield could replace the HTPC. It can be a Chromecast receiver.