Streaming Video in an Email!!!

SlickAU

Jul 3, 2005
Hey Everyone,

I currently am working on a project at work where I need to find out how to progressively stream a video in an email which will be send to a lot of customers. Currently the movie is converted to a flash movie (.swf) and I have the source code which embeds the movie in the HTML.

The movie works PERFECT :D when you display it in your web browser but whenever i merge the HTML and send it via email to either myself or anybody else, it DOESNT :( play.

Is this a precaution in most email programs to stop malicious scripts automatically running which could be stopping my movie from playing?

Also I think other people might use Javascript to play the movie (in email); ANYONE have any idea what I could do to get the movie to play in the email???

Thanks,
Slick :cool:

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Yes, it is a security precaution to not allow anything to play or stream just by opening an email.

Best solution is to provide a link. If you could automatically stream, offline email users with dial up would come to hate you.

SlickAU

Jul 3, 2005
Many companies currently offer streaming video (i.e- search google for "video emails"). We dont really care about the 56k audience it is mainly target for broadband user.

Anyone have any idea where i could start???

Thanks,

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: SlickAU
Many companies currently offer streaming video (i.e- search google for "video emails"). We dont really care about the 56k audience it is mainly target for broadband user.

Anyone have any idea where i could start???

Thanks,

Sending emails that automatically open streaming video (unless you are doing this internally on a LAN) will get a you a LOT of flack from a LOT of people. Just send them a link.

Mogget

Nov 20, 2005
I have a 56k, and if you even THINK of sending me an email with streaming video, I'm going to:

1. Come to your house,
2. Hide behind your sofa,
3. Wait until your asleep,
4. Take the BIGGEST PSU I can buy with the most powerful fan,
5. Come into your bedroom....

And I'll stop there for fear of getting banned, but I think you get the idea.

Seriously though, your idea is an example of intrusive advertising that I for one don't appreciate. If we had the ability to put up a "no circulars" sign all well and good, but as it is we don't.

Just my opinion of course.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
HTML emails = Annoying.
Streamed video in emails = I'm never using email again.

If it's a sfw file just zip it up and include it as a downloadable file or provide a link to a website where you can host it. Automatically playing movies in email is just wrong on so many levels. I find HTML emails with the stupid embedded images annoying enough...

SlickAU

Jul 3, 2005
Hi Everyone again,

Yes I know YOU guys might think video emails may be annoying, BUT the people who we are sending the video emails to are CUSTOMERS who signed up to recieve email specials.

I would think that sending a 5 min /8mb file to 5000 email addresses wouldnt be possible (unless you want the emails to finish being sent out by the end of next year or something)

Thats why i want to learn how to progressively stream the videos in the emails. All I need to find out is a way of getting the movie to actually play in the emails, and your help would be muchly appreciated!!! :p

Or is there a way to have the movie play in the email say when the customer clicks "PLAY" in the email but still have the movie playing in the email itself (i.e- the movie doesnt open up in a web browser)

Thanks,

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Can't help you but it seems counter productive to send information that can only be read by those who use HTML email. Add the flash requirement and the number dwindles even more to the most unsavvy with the most insecure PC's. Unless you particularly want to target the dumbest ten percent. Oh now I get it... clever marketing scheme!