Stray cat reproduced some kittens in my unused shed! What should I DO? WITH PICTURES!

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
Well my mom's been feeding this stray cat for the last month because she feels sorry for the cat for not being able to find food. Anyhow, we just noticed that in our unused shed there now lies these four babies! The shed that I am talking about is in my also unused backyard, and as you can see it's all rusted... so it's haven for stray animals.

So... now the question is what should I do with them cats? Turn them in to animal control, or just let nature take its course?

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
If you have a problem with [insert animal smaller than kitten], they might hunt it for you. If you take them to animal control they'll probably be killed, unless there's a dearth of kittens there.

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Put sign on corner: Free kittens, inquire at <phone number>

Someone will pick them up. Don't forget to wait the few weeks till the kittens can be put on real food and not just milk.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
Put sign on corner: Free kittens, inquire at <phone number>

Someone will pick them up. Don't forget to wait the few weeks till the kittens can be put on real food and not just milk.
Yeah....kittens in milk get all soggy. Try them grilled on a bun instead.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Do them a favor and give them a post-birth abortion. Or you can look forward to cats howling and mating all night long and crapping in your garden and all the other joys.

I love cats more than most but feral cats are no better than rats or squirrels.

There are a couple of feral cats my dogs can't seem to keep away. They use part of our landscape as a toilet.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
I had a kitten that was born of a wild cat.

It was a GREAT cat when it grew up.

You just have to get them young, and in THIS case it would be WAY easy to do so.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
This reminds me of a story my friend told us.

His cat was what he and his Dad called "the slut" of the neighbor. Every year she would have several litters. Since there is only so many cats you can give away before you start accumulating cats, he would kill them. (They lived in a semi-rural area.) Any of you who live on farms or used to, know that animal death and putting animals to death isn't that big of a deal. Anyway, it got to the point where as soon as the cat would have her litter he would immediately bury them.

When he told me that I thought it was pretty sinister, however they were going to die anyway, so...

jacob0401

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2001
I think the sign at the corner is the best idea, along with taking one while young and keeping it for yourself.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
They were born on your land eh? That would make then automatically blahblah99 citizens!

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
They were born on your land eh? That would make then automatically blahblah99 citizens!

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Word of advice. If you keep feeding stray animals whether it be a dog or cat, they will keep coming back for food. Best not to feed them, as this will continue to happen.

I suggest seeing if anyone is willing to adopt them. I'm sure several will seeing as they are just kittens and people love the adorable babies.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Is there a reason you don't paint that shed or are you trying to piss off your neighbors?

P.S. Multiple mating feral cats will really make them happy! :D

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Oh man, if I lived near you, I'd take that yellow and white one in a heartbeat. I'm a sucker for yellow and white tabby cats :).

I think the cross country fedex trip would be kind of harsh on the kittens though.

Best bet is to just keep feeding the mother until about 6 weeks pass, by then the kittens can be weaned and adpoted out. If you take them now to the shelter, take the mother too, because the shelter will have a harder time feeding baby kittens then the mother would

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
#1. Call the ASPCA so they can go to an animal rescue instaed of the County animal shelter.
Tell them about the mom so they can catch and spay her as well.
There are free programs for this.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Take 'em to the pound. They'll put the guilt trip on you though, I've had to do it before.

"Awww, they're awfully cute, are you sure you don't want to keep them?"