Strategies for home backup/archive of data?

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I currently use external 3.5" HDs (via USB) to archive and store all of my files. This includes apps, photos, video, documents, etc. I currently have a 2TB as primary with a redundant 1TB as backup. Unfortunately, the 1 TB drive has failed and is no longer accessible (no data has been lost). The 2TB drive is at least 4 years old and needs replacement as I am no longer willing to risk losing 1+TB of data.

I am looking at alternative ideas on how to proceed to create a new repository. The easy (and seemingly straightforward) solution is to simply purchase another external HD to replace my 2TB. What other options am I missing here? Any innovative yet cost-effective solutions that I am overlooking?

Thank you ...

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Buy two and rotate a dated archive between. I have two 2.5" drives one labeled 1 (Jan-May) other 2 (Jun-Dec). I used to backup every 6 months using the built in Windows Image Backup. Now it's become every year. But at least it's a rotating archival backup.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
The easy (and seemingly straightforward) solution is to simply purchase another external HD to replace my 2TB.

I would not recommend external HDDs for archival purposes. Not an external HDD, but the drives sold as external HDDs. They are where the worst binned drives usually end up. Better to buy a 2.5"/3.5" external case, and add a HDD of your choice.

That said, how important is this data? If it is irreplaceable, there are some additional things to consider.