Strangest problem ever

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Every time I start my computer (well, it's my friend's computer, but whatever), the first time I hit shift it makes a sound similar to something that would come from Space Invaders. Every time after that - until the computer shuts down and is restarted - it doesn't beep. A few things to note:

1) I'm not sure if it also does it after it hibernates.

2) It does it when the computer is shut down and then powered up, OR if it is just restarted.

3) It is a laptop computer.

4) It does it whether the laptop is by itself (and thus the laptop keyboard is used) or if it is in its docking station (and thus the external keyboard is used).

PLEASE HELP! The noise is actually kind of funny, but I'm just dying to know what in the world is causing it.

robisbell

Banned
Oct 27, 2007
make and model of laptop, and the reason you're hitting the shift key while it's booting up?

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: robisbell
make and model of laptop, and the reason you're hitting the shift key while it's booting up?
It's a Dell D610, I believe, and I'm not hitting it WHILE it's booting up. It happens the first time you hit the shift key AFTER it is booted up.

robisbell

Banned
Oct 27, 2007
well, when you know for sure the make and model, let me know, i need exact info if I am going to even attempt to help. I do not work of assumptions and guesses.

robisbell

Banned
Oct 27, 2007
well, you just quickly tap the key and it makes the sound constantly or quickly?

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Accessibility Options. The default panel that comes up will in fact be for the keyboard options. There you can turn off whatever happened to have been turned on. While you're there for each of the three options, press Settings, and uncheck Use Shortcut. Now Windows will no longer misinterpret your random keystrokes.

I think that might be it.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
If that's it, I'll feel like an idiot for not checking there first. ;) Thanks for your help.

Edit: Yep, that did it. Thanks again.