Strangest illness I've ever had

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I caught this on 12/30 a couple of days after my wife got it.

Biggest symptom was a low level nausea and stomach cramp that never went away and a total lack of appetite. Just the smell of a soda cracker would make you drop it back on a plate and turn away. When I did eat something, like broth, it didn't make me any more nauseous. Next up was fatigue, I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without breaking into a sweat and then there were the aches and pains of a flue.

Never in my 51 years have I ever had such an illness and I never thought it was possible for me to lose my appetite. I would have thought it was something more serious if the wife hadn't been stricken too. I just started to feel better a couple days ago and I'd say I'm 90% back to normal now. Now that that the New Years holiday is over and the doctor's office will finally be open tomorrow I don't feel so bad that it makes me think I should go.

But, I thought I'd open this up to all you amateur doctors as to what you think I've got. Whenever I've ever had the stomach flue, I'd eat something and then it would slowly cause me to become ever more nauseated until I up-chucked. With this, it wasn't anything like that.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
Originally posted by: Squisher
I caught this on 12/30 a couple of days after my wife got it.

Biggest symptom was a low level nausea and stomach cramp that never went away and a total lack of appetite. Just the smell of a soda cracker would make you drop it back on a plate and turn away. When I did eat something, like broth, it didn't make me any more nauseous. Next up was fatigue, I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without breaking into a sweat and then there were the aches and pains of a flue.

Never in my 51 years have I ever had such an illness and I never thought it was possible for me to lose my appetite. I would have thought it was something more serious if the wife hadn't been stricken too. I just started to feel better a couple days ago and I'd say I'm 90% back to normal now. Now that that the New Years holiday is over and the doctor's office will finally be open tomorrow I don't feel so bad that it makes me think I should go.

But, I thought I'd open this up to all you amateur doctors as to what you think I've got. Whenever I've ever had the stomach flue, I'd eat something and then it would slowly cause me to become ever more nauseated until I up-chucked. With this, it wasn't anything like that.

imagine the possibilities...

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: AmberClad
(disclaimer: I'm not a doctor)

Food poisoning?

That's what I think

Did you eat out anywhere prior to this?

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Quintox
Originally posted by: AmberClad
(disclaimer: I'm not a doctor)

Food poisoning?

That's what I think

Did you eat out anywhere prior to this?

I've had food poisoning before and this really didn't mimic it. With food poisoning you'd become ever more upset to your stomach after consuming something until you finally threw up. Afterward, you'd even felt better for a couple of seconds. With this, all foods would make you retch just thinking about consuming them and if you managed to get something down there wasn't any marked increase in a desire to expel it afterward.

Also, there are 3 other people in the household and none of them got sick.

I'm not discounting food poisoning, but it certainly isn't like any I've had before. Besides, it lasted like 4 days without any change, then in the last two days has subsided.

Maybe, I guess, I don't know.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N...ic_fatty_liver_disease

Symptoms present in advanced stages of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease are:

* Lack of appetite
* Unexplained weight loss
* Nausea
* Small, red spider veins under your skin or easy bruising
* Weakness
* Fatigue
* Jaundice
* Bleeding from engorged veins in your esophagus or intestines
* Loss of interest in sex
* Fluid in your abdominal cavity
* Itching on your hands and feet and eventually on your entire body
* Swelling of your legs and feet

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Sounds like a weakened strain of a stomach virus.

SandEagle fails. Both he AND his wife had the same genetic or drug induded disease?

Whatever they had was contagious or environmental. Most likely contagious since she got it, became contagious and passed it to him. The three day lag suggests a period of incubation.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Boogie-woogie flu, possibly with disco fever.

Also:
Flu = influenza
Flue = passageway for smoke, usually through a chimney
:p

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Strangest? Wow, that's pretty lame for strangest.

Just this weekend my dog suffered from something far stranger - she was shitting gallons of bloody diarrhea, her nose and butt were bright red, and she peed while walking...

Yet she's fine now - and we're fine as well, after we bought a new steam deep cleaner.