Strangest computer problem I have ever seen...

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
One of my users just showed me something I had never seen. She is using Win2k on a fairly good machine. She has 3 floppies, if you go to one floppy and save one file or maybe delete something. Then open any of the other 2 floppies you will have the exact same files in there. If you reformat one floppy, all of them will be blank. I tried going through DOS and yep, they are all the same even when I delete something through DOS. Anyone ever seen anything like this? I am having no luck googling for a solution.

dam(confused)

Pex

Banned
Aug 21, 2003
If you reformat one floppy, all of them will be blank

so the floopy formats itself out of the drive?

sounds like its repeating operations...some type of malfunction in the hardware.

Winblows is reporting the second and third floppy incorrectly, I had this problem awhile back with Win 98 se.
My only solution was to reboot before inserting the second floppy.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Just when I thought I'd seen some weird stuff with computers. I'd have to say Roger's explanation makes sense, though.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Try accessing the floppy drive when it's empty between changing the discs.

That will generate a read error. Then, clear the error message and try the new floppy.

SpazzyChicken

Feb 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Roger
Winblows is reporting the second and third floppy incorrectly, I had this problem awhile back with Win 98 se.
My only solution was to reboot before inserting the second floppy.

I have seen this problem before on a win2k machine, and I came to this same conclusion. Hitting refresh (F5) didn't work. Only resetting the machine would make another floppy report correctly. However, any of the machines around it had no such porblems. It was very strange. I gave the user a 16mb memory key. Problem solved.

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
fix0r
looks like you have to contact them directly

Does that mean I have to pay? Damn them, there is not ETA for the IE6 patch.

dam you MS

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: DAM
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
fix0r
looks like you have to contact them directly

Does that mean I have to pay? Damn them, there is not ETA for the IE6 patch.

dam you MS

No. If you had read it all the way through..:p Look at the DLL that they mention, and see if its the version that they note. Call them, if they determine that that is the problem, you don't pay.