Strangers on train who filmed with their phones a woman being raped might be charged

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
$20,000 - $100,000 in lawyers fees and 2 years later i guess i'd be happy i did the right thing. If the government had done the right thing in the first place this illegal immigrant would have been sent home.
I didn't read the article, but this is the first time illegal immigrant has been mentioned...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This goes back to the controversy over the Kitty Genovese case in New York back in the 60's. Psychologists actually discovered that the more people who are perceived to be witnessing the crime, the less likely an individual is to report it because they assume someone else will. They call it "the bystander effect."
You don't need to collect and analyze data to realize this. It's obvious just thinking about it.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You don't need to collect and analyze data to realize this. It's obvious just thinking about it.

Might seem obvious, but most people are quick to assume that apathy is the reason, when in fact the Bystander Effect suggests otherwise.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I didn't read the article, but this is the first time illegal immigrant has been mentioned...
Looks like he's a Congolese national here on an expired student visa, but given the fact that almost all rapes in the US are committed by legal residents and citizens, like @imported_tajmahal, the immigration status is non-sequitor.

Reactions: DaaQ

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
The overwhelming majority of rapes are comitte by citizens of the USA.

If our lawmakers and police actually took rape seriously this would be less prevalent.
Still doesn't change the fact that the illegal shouldn't have been in the US and inaction on his removal led to this crime. Dude already had a conviction for a sexual offense More whataboutism about crime not being a big deal by illegals because citizens commit crimes. It's also disgusting that people spectated while this happened.

Reactions: imported_tajmahal

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Still doesn't change the fact that the illegal shouldn't have been in the US and inaction on his removal led to this crime. Dude already had a conviction for a sexual offense More whataboutism about crime not being a big deal by illegals because citizens commit crimes. It's also disgusting that people spectated while this happened.
The poster who never posts without a whataboutism wants everyone to know that whataboutism is bad.
Personally, I treat people as individuals, and not as 'little boxes,' so his immigration status is meaningless compared to his crime. And likewise, I am not interested in using his abhorrent crime as an opportunity to further a partisan political agenda, as you are doing here.

Reactions: ch33zw1z
Jul 9, 2009
The overwhelming majority of rapes are comitte by citizens of the USA.

If our lawmakers and police actually took rape seriously this would be less prevalent.
It doesn't and shouldn't give them an excuse not to jail/imprison active criminals though.

Jul 9, 2009
In very few states, almost always involving children, and is a misdemeanor anyway.

Crime reporting obligations do kick in for certain professionals like doctors and schools who must report evidence of child abuse.

There is also a special relationship between parent and child where the parent may have to report a crime against the child or it is criminal child neglect.

The general rule, however, is that there is no such obligation.
Depends on what crimes and what schools. Sexual battery doesn't need to be reported to the police or parents in Virginia schools.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Immigration status is an ez out to blame this on. When in fact it has little do with this situation. It's not surprising that a group of people who voted for a guy that slandered immigrants as rapists and criminals would try to lean on that crutch. This logic implies that a immigrant wouldn't rape someone where they came from, and it's simply because they're a immigrant that they committed the crime. Obviously, this is not correct and only an idiot would offer this as a root cause.

Sexual harassment and rape is wrong, full stop. These acts are perpetrated by citizens daily, it doesn't take an immigrant to do it.

As @woolfe9998 mentioned, the bystander effect is real, and we can all be part of it. Arm chair commandos can talk as tough as they like, doesn't mean shit in the real world.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
$20,000 - $100,000 in lawyers fees and 2 years later i guess i'd be happy i did the right thing. If the government had done the right thing in the first place this illegal immigrant would have been sent home.
Although Ngoy was put in immigration detention in January 2018, he was not deported as he received a 'withholding of removal'

I guess the "build the wall" guy was all talk. Trump couldn't even get his signature issue right (hate for immigrants of color)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem obvious, but most people are quick to assume that apathy is the reason, when in fact the Bystander Effect suggests otherwise.
I think I'm better than most at putting myself into other people's heads... imagining their thinking, state of mind in situations.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I grew up and lived in the philly suburbs and I rode the Market Frankford El twice a week for about 8 months for a job in my teenage years. I like to think that if I witnessed a rape during that time, I’d try to stop it. Besides other passengers cell phones, most cars contain surveillance cameras. I never witnessed an assault, rape or theft on the El. I don’t know what the truth is here - I’m sure a rape happened. But, did the other passengers know it was rape and do nothing? If they thought it was consensual sex, at least 95% would not say anything. It's funny - The last time I rode the El, the car I was in was empty except for a man who chose the seat right next to mine. I was briefly worried by this. I figured he might attempt to assault or rob me. Instead he just broke out his works and shot up. I promptly moved far away from him. I still cannot figure out why he felt the need to sit right next to the only occupied seat in the car. Perhaps he was hoping I carried emergency Narcan and I wasn't afraid to use it?

• Haha
Reactions: shortylickens

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Gov. Abbott says his anti-abortion law has no out for rape victims because there will be no rape in Texas. You don't believe me?

texas has a history of electing idiot governors starting with George B. or maybe Clayton Williams

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Far more evidence against Joe Biden with Tara Reade. Little to none against President Trump.
Right. Ignore blatant evidence of rape/sexual harassment from the “republican”, talk up at worst inappropriate behavior by the democrat.

Loudly proclaim the rapist in the OP is an illegal immigrant because you feel “Dems are week on immigration”

To sum it up you have no principles with respect to rape, you just hate liberals.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

I guess that's a big whoops on this story and trying to blame bystanders...

From the get go, this has been a story in need of factual verification, as no one could say for certain what anyone saw or didn't see, or how they interpreted what they saw. Even in the Kitty Genovese case, it was proven later on that the vast majority of the supposed 50+ people who allegedly witnessed the murder didn't really see it.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Why would they need witnesses to come forward. Video of the full incident and police catching the suspect in the act