Stranger -> Girlfriend stages nowadays

GigaCluster

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2001
Recently I discovered that not everyone knows the correct order of progression from someone being a stranger to the boyfriend/girlfriend. Mainly, what's the difference or order of "going out" and "dating"?

Some people here are having a debate about it and help from all you dating experts :)P)would be much appreciated. It would be nice if you could describe every stage in detail.

GigaCluster

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2001
No no.

For example, when someone says "She and I are going out." Or, "She and I are dating." Is there even a difference between the two? Is there something (title-wise) in between of those two stages? What comes before, what comes after?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: GigaCluster
No no.

For example, when someone says "She and I are going out." Or, "She and I are dating." Is there even a difference between the two? Is there something (title-wise) in between of those two stages? What comes before, what comes after?
They mean the same thing, but are age dependant. Going out is a middle school/high school thing, while dating is for the more mature.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: minendo
No no.

They mean the same thing, but are age dependant. Going out is a middle school/high school thing, while dating is for the more mature.

Pretty much. I haven't heard anyone say the phrase "I'm 'going out' with him/her" for many years.

Nowadays, it seems like the phrase "seeing" is more popular. I.e. "I'm seeing this girl from work..."

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
No no.

Yup!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
shes not your girlfriend if she hasn't met your friends.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Nutdotnet
No no.

Yup!

mmm i disagree, people ask me all the time if my gf and i are still "going out" but we're not in high school, guess it varies, ive never told anyone we're "dating" usually i just say we're together

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
shes not your girlfriend if she hasn't met your friends.

Heh...what is that quote (I think by Chris Rock)? "If you've been going out for six months and still haven't met any of his friends, you are not his girlfriend."

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: amnesiac
No no.

Pretty much. I haven't heard anyone say the phrase "I'm 'going out' with him/her" for many years.

Nowadays, it seems like the phrase "seeing" is more popular. I.e. "I'm seeing this girl from work..."

Around here "seeing" implys non-monogamy, you could be seeing 2 or 3 women at a time. Then you move to dating and monogamy.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
Originally posted by: amnesiac
No no.

Around here "seeing" implys non-monogamy, you could be seeing 2 or 3 women at a time. Then you move to dating and monogamy.

Hehe...

"Are you seeing any girls, Bobby Bouche?"
"I see a lot of girls...I see a lot of guys, too."
"Have you ever been with a girl and a guy at the same time?"
"Last night I was with my Momma and Coach Kline at the same time..."