Strange Windows Explorer Problem

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I just booted up my desktop running Win10 Home and doubled clicked on a folder on my desktop to look at one of the files within, but instead of opening the folder the desktop flashed blank for a split second and then ... nothing. The folder didn't open and nothing looks any different. So, I then double clicked on the folder icon for Windows File Explorer in the tray and same thing -- the screen blanks for a split second but Windows Explorer never opens.

OK, thinking maybe something was hosed during the boot I shutdown, waited about 10 seconds, then rebooted and it's doing the same thing.

So, I guess Windows File Explorer got hosed so the question is -- how to reinstall that.

Brian

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Well I may have found the problem but would never have guessed it was the cause. I have a 24" 4K display and while a 24" 4K display is great for some things it can be a bit of a problem with small text, menus and icons. So, I had the scaling set to 200% (System/Display) but yesterday I turned that down to 175% to see how that worked out and everything looked OK. However, when I booted up today the Windows File Explorer would not open or appear to open.

So, looking around on the web I stumbled upon a reference to the 175% scaling and although that seemed impossible I went to the display setting and increased back to 200% and now Windows File Explorer opens and is visible and usable. Jesus H Christ Microsoft has there head up there ass....

Brian

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Heh.
Just for the future references, if you run sfc.exe /scannow that is what you run to check system files.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
It has always amazed me how bad Windows is with scaling. And now even with Windows 10. I find it funny how changing scaling is so darn simple with every Android device I have used, but Microsoft has yet to get it to look/work quite right.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
I (usually) have more trouble with 3rd party programs not handling scaling very well, although this is obviously a MS issue here.

Part of me wants a higher res display, but part of me does not because I don't want to deal with DPI scaling and the issues it tends to cause.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I (usually) have more trouble with 3rd party programs not handling scaling very well, although this is obviously a MS issue here.

Part of me wants a higher res display, but part of me does not because I don't want to deal with DPI scaling and the issues it tends to cause.

Yes, third party programs can be particularly troublesome and in my case the biggest problem is with my CAD program TurboCAD Deluxe 21. The icons and menu items are so small and with my less than perfect eyesight it's quite a problem. But, this is still a MS problem as they own the OS and have substantial control over the UI. MS should have foreseen the arrival of 4K displays and adapted the api's etc so that third party programmers didn't have to reinvent the wheel.

But, since I do 4K video and high resolution (36MP) image editing in addition to CAD work a 4K display is a must.

At present my 4K display is just 24 inches and that's really too small for 4K. I'm looking at upgrading in the near future to a 32 inch 4K display but I'm waiting to see if Asus will finally release the PA329Q that they've been talking about and demoing for about a year now -- not sure what the holdup is but I'd like them to take my money...

Brian

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
There are two methods for scaling content in Windows 10. The older method (DPI scaling), the one that MS says is "not recommended", in my experience seems to work better than the newer one.