Asrock H77M
Sapphire 6450
4gb Samsung 1600 RAM
Antec 450w PSU
W7 64bit
Silverstone grandia gd05b case
LG Blu ray drive

Using xbmc to play files.

Installation went fine, everything booted up and installed all the necessary updates and drivers. Started a movie for daughter and about 1.5 hrs into it, the audio got distorted. Music sounded like it was coming from a loudspeaker, muffled and choppy, and voices sounded very robotic and echoing. The only thing that seems to fix this is a reboot. But that would be very annoying. Any help or suggestions would be appreciate. If you need any more info, let me know.

Also, another minor problem. My case only has usb 3.0 on the front and my input device (visiontek Candyboard) uses usb 2.0 RF. On my other htpc, the candyboard works flawlessly, but on this build it works like crap. I'm assuming RF needs line of sight so I'm thinking I need to get one of those RF blaster things and plug it into the usb 2.0s in the back?

EDIT: When I try to replay the file after a reboot, it says the file is no longer available and I have to update the library so xbmc sees the file.

Last edited:

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'm going to bump this thread because I think I've found the source of the problem, but not a solution yet. I noticed I only get this audio problem when I'm playing a movie without my receiver being on. My receiver is a Yamaha rx-v467 and allows hdmi passthrough, so I get audio fine for about an hour or so, then the distortion happens. When I watch a movie with the receiver on, everything works fine, no distortion with the audio. I'm assuming it's an issue with the receiver, so any suggestions on settings that I should look for on the receiver?

May 27, 2008
An RF (radio) remote shouldn't require line of sight. The advantage of RF remotes is that they work though walls, floors etc.

An IR (Inferred) remote does need line of sight.

I'm not sure which type your VisionTek Candyboard is. On Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823852004
they call it a RF remote in the title. But on the details page they call it an IR remote in one place and then they call it a RF remote in another. Is it one, or the other, or both?

As to the USB3. USB3 is back words compatible with USB2 and USB1 devices. The only issue you could have with the USB3 ports on the front of your case is if your motherboard does not have a USB3 header. The internal headers are not back words compatible*, but the external ports are.

*an adapter can get around this limitation and some PC cases include this adapter.

Last edited:

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
An RF (radio) remote shouldn't require line of site. The advantage of RF remotes is that they work though walls, floors etc.

An IR (Inferred) remote does need line of sight.

I'm not sure which type your VisionTek Candyboard is. On Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823852004
they call it a RF remote in the title. But on the details page they call it an IR remote in one place and then they call it a RF remote in another. Is it one, or the other, or both?

I've got this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823852005

I just used an extra USB cable I had laying around, and plugged in the receiver to it and plugged it in to the USB 2.0 in the rear and don't have any problems with it now.