Strange phone issue - refuses to power on for hours sometimes

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
So I've done extensive googling of this issue, and still haven't really found anything helpful. My phone has been locking up/rebooting on a somewhat frequent basis. Annoying, but nothing too bad. However, sometimes it just does not want to turn on again. It will lock up such that I have to hold the power button down for 10 or so seconds to get it to shut off. I feel the vibration of it shutting off. But then I hold the power button in to turn it back on - nothing. Hold volume up/down + power to get to fastboot/recovery -- Nothing. Sometimes I let it sit for a few minutes, then it will let me do the recovery boot.

Today, I thought my phone finally bit the dust, as for four hours it refused to turn back on. Plugging it in, the charging light doesn't display. No amount of button pressing or holding down for several minutes/etc made it show any signs of life. Then magically it decided to finally turn on after probably the 50th attempt and being off for 4 hours.

Any clue what could possibly be the issue? Is it worth opening up to see if some contact has come loose? The fact that plugging it in doesn't even make the charging light come on confuses me. Like how could it just come back from the dead repeatedly just by letting it sit? I don't believe it's an overheating issue, as it doesn't even feel warm while it was "off". And it's not the battery dying, as aside from trying to plug it in briefly, it was unplugged and still turned on hours later with a good charge left.

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the suggestion! But unfortunately I've done that... 3 times now actually, lol. Went to running a bare minimum of apps thinking it might have been an app causing the reboot issues. But didn't seem tied to any one specific app.

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
maybe it's time to take the ol' dog out behind the shed and put it out of its misery :(

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oneplus 3. Still under warranty, but pain being without a phone for 2 weeks or however long it takes to get the replacement. Just trying to understand what might be causing it prior to sending it in for service. Worked fine for the first few months, then this issue kind of just developed out of the blue.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
My guess is something is screwey in the power circuitry. Somewhere between the battery and the power button. Could be a flaky IC, or contacts coming loose. I would go grab a super cheap backup phone from BBuy and send the OP3 in for warranty work.

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I did end up sending it back for warranty repair - actually saw it was delivered today. At least it was a super fast turnaround! Hoping they just sent me a replacement instead of "fixing" mine, but I guess I'll find out when I get home from work today!