Strange Overclocking Result w/ 9700K

yodude7

Feb 8, 2010
Having a situation with my 9700K w/ my Aorus Pro motherboard I'm hoping I can get some perspectives on. So I've gotten my 5ghz (@1.35v) OC to pass 1) Prime95 (non-AVX) overnight, 2) TimeSpy Stress Test for 3dmark (EVGA Hybrid FTW3 2080ti OC'd), and 3) mem test for 8 hours (corsair ballistix @3200MHz ). Both games I play (division 2 and wildlands) that tax the system run absolutely fine for hours.
Yet about every other day, just twiddling in windows, the computer has either hung or BSOD with apparently nothing stressful running. I've got good cooling (GPU loads at 55C and CPU at low 60s). I've turned off all the power saving features and set it on Turbo in bios.
I'm head scratching why my system has hung when I'm "doing nothing."

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Sounds like what I've encountered in the past using a - offset to keep vcore lower. How's your vcore set?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I haven't played with Intels latest offerings, but if I was to I doubt I'd follow that guide.

I'd reset to optimized defaults and look for another guide.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Essentially leaving it static w/ no adjusting down. I justify the vcore stress by having the computer go to sleep when not in use :)
Check your vcore reading while under load (Prime 95 non-AVX should be ok) and while idling. Make sure your vcore under heavy load is equal or lower than your vcore when idle.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
From your description the problem is not the o/c. Return the bios to normal values and If the BSOD continues, come back for more ideas, primary will be a flaky psu.

yodude7

Feb 8, 2010
Check your vcore reading while under load (Prime 95 non-AVX should be ok) and while idling. Make sure your vcore under heavy load is equal or lower than your vcore when idle.
Sorry but what’s the logic of it being lower than when idle? Why would idle need so much more vcore?

yodude7

Feb 8, 2010
From your description the problem is not the o/c. Return the bios to normal values and If the BSOD continues, come back for more ideas, primary will be a flaky psu.
Psu is a quality 1200watts and no problem before oc’ng. Honestly, I wouldn’t even have thought twice about this but is crashed/hung 3 times in the week I’ve put it together and put it through its paces. Does splendid when it’s being taxed.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Sorry but what’s the logic of it being lower than when idle? Why would idle need so much more vcore?
The reason that the MB puts out less voltage under load is that the load calls for more energy.
I doubt you're having a PSU issue. Those are stone reliable these days. You may have simply lost out in the silicon lottery.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
One thing I would try is lowering Uncore by one step. That guide is recommending 47 uncore ratio and from my experience not every CPU can do that, esp 9700K as those are probably binned down 9900K's

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
CPU in idle ---> VCore = BIOS setting
CPU under load ---> VCore = BIOS setting - Voltage Drop + Load Line Calibration adjustment

If your LLC is overly aggressive it may overcompensate and your actual Vcore under load may end up higher than 1.35V. In other words, there's a chance your CPU isn't actually stable at 5Ghz @ 1.35V.

Check you VCore under load and compare it with your BIOS settings. If it's bellow your idle value we can move on and think of another cause.

yodude7

Feb 8, 2010
Wouldn't my temps be super high if I "lost the silicone lottery" and not be able to play games at 5mhz?

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
I'm sorry, I got threads confused. I thought I was replying to a guy who couldn't get his overclock over 4.05 GHz.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I am thinking something is not getting enough power under idle. When the system is idle it may try a bit too aggressively to save power, leaving something (most likely the CPU, but could be anything) without adequate power. Do you use offset for your vcore and vSOC?