Strange noise GTX 950 Under Load

d4mo

Jun 24, 2005
So I just got this GTX 950 used. Under load it makes a strange clicking noise. It sounds like the fan, but the fan isn't running yet, and makes it if I stop the fan with my finger.

It's the GPU for sure, as nothing else in my case makes that noise, I stopped all the other fans and it doesn't make that noise when the GPU is out.

Check out the video...around 0:14 is when I put it under load

https://youtu.be/mDOzTzk-Qo4

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
"The fan isn't running yet" is the first thing I would be worried about. Have you looked up that model to see if it's supposed to do that?

Yeah, that noise would get on my nerves too. I guess now we know why the seller sold it. Does your system have an integrated GPU (or do you have another video card) so you can confirm?

d4mo

Jun 24, 2005
It's a Maxwell chip, so yes the fan is off at idle, it turns on around 60C.

Yeah it has integrated Intel 4600 graphics, no noise when the card is out.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
I know you said there is no noise when the card is out, it really sounds like a fan rubbing on a wire. Before I watched the video I was going to suggest the sound could be a bad capacitor and maybe it still could be.

d4mo

Jun 24, 2005
I know you said there is no noise when the card is out, it really sounds like a fan rubbing on a wire. Before I watched the video I was going to suggest the sound could be a bad capacitor and maybe it still could be.

I know that's exactly what I thought. I've stopped every fan in my case and it makes the noise. It is only under gpu load, and doesnt make the noise when the gpu is out. It's very bizarre