Strange New Problem

mdnblaster

Jan 19, 2004
I have Windows XP SP2 and all was good until AVG started not working. I couldn't update or DL a new copy since every time I went to Grisoft's site the Browser (IE 6 or FF) would just exit. Now I cannot run anything like HiJack This or AdAware without the applications simply exiting within a half second of opening. I did manage a TrendMicro scan before things got worse and nothing but common tracking cookies were picked up. I have no idea how to make the various application stay open. I cannot delete AVG either the deletion just stops and closes before I get finished. I have never seen this before.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Boot into Safe Mode and run all the Security Applications.

If it's all clean, do the System Restore to the Restore Point like 1 week old - before the problems started.

If you can't boot - press F8 and pick "The last configuration that worked"

If that doesn't work - do the Repair Install of Windows.

Good luck!

mdnblaster

Jan 19, 2004
Originally posted by: JustaGeek
Boot into Safe Mode and run all the Security Applications.

If it's all clean, do the System Restore to the Restore Point like 1 week old - before the problems started.

If you can't boot - press F8 and pick "The last configuration that worked"

If that doesn't work - do the Repair Install of Windows.

Good luck!

I have the same issue in Safe Mode as well it seems. None of the security apps except for AdAware stay open for use. I installed a Patch from Microsoft that was for a similar issue and that didn't work as well.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Try the System Restore then.

If you can't, try Repair Install of Windows with the XP disk - Repair Install, so you dont lose the applications.

If that doesn't work, you might have to reformat and re-install Windows.

Looks like a virus or some kind of malware.

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002
Sounds like a virus to me, open up your task manager and see if you can identify any processes that shouldn't be there, you may be able to stop them and then be able to run security software.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
You might try the manual McAfee command-line scanner, which requires no formal installation. John has the instructions listed midway down this page. Follow the directions exactly, including using Safe Mode With Command Prompt, then post the results from the C:\report.html file it will create. Also try launching HijackThis from Safe Mode With Command Prompt and see if you get anywhere.

If you cannot reach the download link, try http://67.97.80.71/vil/virus-4d.aspx (the actual IP address for nai.com) or download the file using an uninfected computer.

Big picture: if my system were that badly subverted, there'd be no messing around with anything short of a full reformat and reinstallation. security suggestions for next time and may I suggest using something better than AVG Feeble Edition next time... but also learning that antivirus, even the best antivirus, is not a complete defense strategy by itself. Not even close.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
I have been using the "Highly critisized" (for being bloated and "hogging" the System resources) Norton since 2004.

It halted the system maybe 3 or 4 times since then, detecting and cleaning a virus.

Right now I am using the Norton Internet Security 2007 on 3 computers in the house, and would not even consider anything else.

It might "hog" the system on startup and during the Auto Updates, but it is the BEST security option out there at this time, IMHO, as a complete package.

New SONAR Real Time Scanning, Norton Confidential, Firewall, Anti Spyware. Definitely the best in my opinion - again, as a complete security package.

MadAmos

Sep 13, 2006
I aggree although it is not very"Geek" of me over the past 6-6 years I hae tried most of the AV software and my personal best Two have been Norton (2007) and Pccillin (Trend Micro) internet security 14. I have one laptop running AOL KAV and so far I am not impressed as of today it has decided to update but after doing so reports that my definitions are still out of date, this has been ongoing all day so far. while my 3 Norton and 1 Trend Micro box are all ok.

Amos