Strange Micro-stutter Issue

Zoz

Oct 25, 2012
All,

I have had a strange micro-stutter issue for as long as I can recall that flies in the face of traditional assumptions.

Unless I am playing a game with VSync *enabled*, I get severe micro-stuttering, *even* if the framerate is locked at a relatively high number, such as 70 (using Precision).

-I have been gaming for 20 years and know what micro-stutter is, and this is almost assuredly it.
-I have 2x GTX 580's and a 2500K at 5 Ghz
-It happens in all games I have tested, regardless of age
-I run Kaspersky AV and run a clean system, malware is not a likely candidate
-I monitor my temps at all times, so no need to even ask
-This problem has persisted for over a year, across multiple OS installs / driver upgrades
-The problem gets more pronounced as the framerate is lowered, but even playing at locked 70FPS is very jerky.
-The problem is completely resolved by enabling VSync, 100% of the time.

Why is this a problem? Well, because some games are locked @ 30FPS, and they become utterly unplayable due to this issue. Subjectively, it feels like playing at 10 FPS when I am actually running at 30.

Thoughts? I have found one other post on the web from a guy with SLI 580's and it sounded like he had the exact same problem as me, but it had no noted resolution.

zaydq

Jul 8, 2012
Micro stutter is just the name of the game when you go with multi-gpu platforms. Unfortunately, there usually is very little to solve it other than just enable vsync to reduce it or to go to a single card solution. Micro-stuttering is more so a hardware issue, but that doesn't mean you have a bad card(s). Its very difficult to find 2 gpus of the same make/model running EXACTLY the same, hence your microstutter. Now that your cards are slightly old, one may be degrading faster than the other, hence why its been more profound as of lately.

Feb 19, 2009
I have the same problem when i last had multi GPU, so I always game with vsync on and tripple buffering enabled if possible.

Even on single GPUs where its not MS related, with vsync off, the rapid fps spikes n drops become annoying.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
Try with a single card at settings where you get 60+ minimum. If that solves it then you know the problem.