Strange Lockups

amcintosh

Jun 27, 2003
Ok... here's what is going on. I was running a Sony VAIO for awhile, but it started doing random restarts, then got to the point where everytime i turned it on it would completely lock up (no mouse movement, no ctr-alt-del.... had to hard reboot). I thought, rather than try to fix up the old machine, i would use this as an excuse to bulid a new one. Now, the new one is doing the same thing, except for the random restarts (not yet anyway). The only thing I brought over from the old machine was a PCI vid card, a AGP vid card, Soundblaster, and two harddrives. I've since removed both video cards, and put in an older AGP. Could this be a harddrive issue? It does sometimes make a grinding noise when locking up. .... HELP!? Thanks in advance.

P4 2.4 (800mhz fsb)
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
1024 DDR2700 (333mhz)
Antec Sonata w/ Antec TruePower 380w power supply
30g 7200rpm HDD (IBM brand... i think)
80g 7200rpm HDD (Maxtor - 8mb cache) :confused:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
bad power source?

you're not keeping it in an eclosed area are you?

amcintosh

Jun 27, 2003
When you say "bad power source" do you mean bad powersupply, or like bad power from the wall outlet. And, um, yeah... i am keeping it inside of a cabinet in my desk. I've thought about that causing heat issues, but why would it start all of a sudden. The VAIO ran fine for a long time. Update on the issue... as it sits right now, there is not a single component in the new computer that was in the old computer. This means it HAS to be a overheating issue right?

amcintosh

Jun 27, 2003
Ok, so... all different different components in the new computer. Still locking up. I watched the monitor software that came with my ASUS mother board at idel, the CPU temp is between 27 and 31C. When i ran photoshop, a movie, and tried to open some other programs... the temp on the CPU jumped to 38C (100F) then locked up. So, this must be a heat issue, but should it really lock up at that low of a temp? Maybe my video card is getting warmer than that? i don't have a temp monitor for it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

TronX

Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by: amcintosh
Ok... here's what is going on. I was running a Sony VAIO for awhile, but it started doing random restarts, then got to the point where everytime i turned it on it would completely lock up (no mouse movement, no ctr-alt-del.... had to hard reboot). I thought, rather than try to fix up the old machine, i would use this as an excuse to bulid a new one. Now, the new one is doing the same thing, except for the random restarts (not yet anyway). The only thing I brought over from the old machine was a PCI vid card, a AGP vid card, Soundblaster, and two harddrives. I've since removed both video cards, and put in an older AGP. Could this be a harddrive issue? It does sometimes make a grinding noise when locking up. .... HELP!? Thanks in advance.

P4 2.4 (800mhz fsb)
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
1024 DDR2700 (333mhz)
Antec Sonata w/ Antec TruePower 380w power supply
30g 7200rpm HDD (IBM brand... i think)
80g 7200rpm HDD (Maxtor - 8mb cache) :confused:

Do a scandisk to repair the harddrive... take out the IBM drive.

amcintosh

Jun 27, 2003
ibm drive is out... still locked up. It has to be temperature, but should it lockup at a CPU temp of 38C?