Strange issue with ATI drivers past 12.8

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
So I had been on the 12.8 CCC drivers for a while and finally got around to updating them to 12.10/12.11 and even tried the newest 13.1. The update installation went fine, all is good in Windows and browsing the net, but when I try to play any of my games (CS:GO, BF3, TF2 etc) the colors get all out of wack/distorted. I get the same issue with two different video cards, a 5850 and 7850. I game at 1920x1080 resolution over HDMI. I've tried a different HDMI cable, but get the same thing. I reinstalled the 12.8 drivers and everything is back to normal. Any ideas of why this is happening? I will try to update with screenshots in a bit.

Screens of issue
http://ppl.ug/JsufyLjRe84/
http://ppl.ug/ehbZ4CmPHWI/

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
So I had been on the 12.8 CCC drivers for a while and finally got around to updating them to 12.10/12.11 and even tried the newest 13.1. The update installation went fine, all is good in Windows and browsing the net, but when I try to play any of my games (CS:GO, BF3, TF2 etc) the colors get all out of wack/distorted. I get the same issue with two different video cards, a 5850 and 7850. I game at 1920x1080 resolution over HDMI. I've tried a different HDMI cable, but get the same thing. I reinstalled the 12.8 drivers and everything is back to normal. Any ideas of why this is happening? I will try to update with screenshots in a bit.

From other things I've been reading, there may be an issue with HDMI in this driver set. I don't use it myself, but what I read was that the 32-bit HDMI driver was integrated in the 64-bit driver package and vice-versa.

Not 100% sure if true, but it certainly could be causing you issues. If you have another port/cable you can try, it might be worth it (DVI to HDMI maybe?).

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
From other things I've been reading, there may be an issue with HDMI in this driver set. I don't use it myself, but what I read was that the 32-bit HDMI driver was integrated in the 64-bit driver package and vice-versa.

Not 100% sure if true, but it certainly could be causing you issues. If you have another port/cable you can try, it might be worth it (DVI to HDMI maybe?).

Looks like what you read is right. I picked up a hdmi to dvi adapter and plugged that end of the cable into the monitor, and sure enough all is well on 13.1 drivers now. I had heard the "AMD driver issues" many a times before over the years, but this was my first issue with them over the course of ~5 years.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Looks like what you read is right. I picked up a hdmi to dvi adapter and plugged that end of the cable into the monitor, and sure enough all is well on 13.1 drivers now. I had heard the "AMD driver issues" many a times before over the years, but this was my first issue with them over the course of ~5 years.

It looks like the issue was sorted out, if you care to re-download.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
Similar but different problem. My 7750 won't recognize the Onkyo 709 AVR it's connected to via HDMI if the AVR is turned off and then turned back on. 12.8, no problems, but everything since, same bug. I'll try reloading with the 13.1.1 (or whatever it's known as now).