Strange horizontal lines in the top-right of my monitor (VG248QE)

Zoeff

Mar 13, 2010
In the top-right corner every other row is slightly darker. This only shows up most clearly when LightBoost is enabled and less so at 144Hz. At 60Hz it's completely gone...

I've never seen or heard anything like this. Is this a known issue with LightBoost/120Hz monitors?

This is a brand new monitor, should I RMA it?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Zoeff

Mar 13, 2010
Could you take a picture of it?

Unfortunately it doesn't really show that well on a photograph because of all the aliasing and moire and such, not to mention the monitor doesn't emit any light a large percentage of the time...

I tried but I couldn't get a proper picture showing the problem. :(

Zoeff

Mar 13, 2010
I managed to get a somewhat decent photo of the left and right corner of the screen. Both are slightly defocused after the camera auto-focused, to prevent moire and aliasing. It doesn't show it as strongly as I can see it with my own eyes but it's visible.

mU7VkMN.jpg

Make sure you're viewing the full version, not the resized one.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
It is possibly one of 3 things. Your video card, which is not likely if it all works well at 60hz, though not out of the question. It could be your dual link DVI cable, but I'd expect it to effect more than one corner, or its the monitor, which is more likely.

Zoeff

Mar 13, 2010
Geh...

Was hoping for a quick and simple solution. Going to RMA it then...

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I had a similar issue with that same monitor. The screen was perfectly bi-sected and the right half of the screen had a red tinge to it. Cleary visible with a darker image (like at boot). Playing with the DVI input caused it to flicker in out but never could get it to go away.
RMA'ed for sure. New one didn't have the issue.

Saiheron

Feb 4, 2014
Geh...

Was hoping for a quick and simple solution. Going to RMA it then...

I have the same issue, and am debating if it's worth the RMA. Did you RMA, and did the replacement have any trace of those lines? They're faint on mine.

Zoeff

Mar 13, 2010
I have the same issue, and am debating if it's worth the RMA. Did you RMA, and did the replacement have any trace of those lines? They're faint on mine.

I did, twice, and the second time a monitor came that didn't have the problem as pronounced. However in the last month or so I've started to notice it again every now and then in the lower left corner of this sample.

Makes me wonder if I should get the G-Sync upgrade kit or wait for a purpose build G-Sync monitor...

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I have the same problem on my Benq XL2411T. Seems to be a common problem on these lightboost based monitors for some reason. Its not a nice effect obviously but its also unfortunately reasonably common.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
I bought two of these monitors a few months ago but ended up returning both of them for this reason. I found the horizontal lines very distracting, well that and the terrible colour these monitors produce. I could live with the ugly colour / TN panel issues but the horizontal scan lines put me over.

apoe

Feb 3, 2014
I have this monitor. I can see a pretty clear 'grid' if I look closely at any point on the screen, though that's probably just the pixels (duh). Going to examine the top right corner later today... now I'm a bit paranoid.

edit: after doing some googling, apparently it's very common with XL2411T (which uses the same panel as the Asus) with lightboost on.

Blur Buster says:
I think this is apparently a (normal) interference between backlight strobing & LCD inversion.I did see some very strange inversion behavior as strobing seems to interact with LCD inversion. LCD inversion is a little-known process of rapidly alternative positive voltage and negative voltage every other refresh, usually in a checkerboard pixel pattern, in order to prevent LCD image retention.
This is a side-effect on certain (not all) LightBoost monitors.
It's a panel limitation, as the panel is being driven to, very, very near its limits.
(I'm familiar with this artifact -- it affects one of my two LightBoost monitors, and only at the upper-right corner. My VG278H has none of this artifact, while it affects the upper-right corner of my XL2411T)

Last edited:

Saiheron

Feb 4, 2014
I did, twice, and the second time a monitor came that didn't have the problem as pronounced. However in the last month or so I've started to notice it again every now and then in the lower left corner of this sample.

Makes me wonder if I should get the G-Sync upgrade kit or wait for a purpose build G-Sync monitor...

I ended up installing the G-Sync kit on mine. Still have the lines at 144Hz, but G-Sync is awesome.