Strange Graphics Problem. GTX 750 Ti Clock Speeds.

Rick540

Dec 13, 2008
On my current PC that I built a few months ago I'm having a strange problem with the graphics card. I'm not a huge gamer anymore, but I have a few shooters and racing games installed that I play off and on.

My graphics card is an MSI GTX 750 Ti. The core clock speed is 1050 MHz and it a boost clock of 1163 MHz. With MSI Afterburner I overclocked the GPU 187 MHz to bring the boost clock to 1350 MHz. Memory speed is untouched as well as voltage.

All my games play fine except one. Temps are never higher than around 70. The card runs stable and I've experienced no crashing or freezing in games unless I try to push the GPU above 1400 MHz. The problem is with the racing game Split Second. This is one of my favorite games of all time and even though I don't game that much anymore, when I want to play a racing game, it's usually the one I go to first.

When I built this system back in late September, the game worked fine the few times I played it. Yesterday is when the problem started. I loaded up the game and the core clock of the card won't go above 405 MHz once the game loads. On the Title/Options screens it will go to 1050 MHz, but once a race starts, it won't go past 405 MHz resulting in a slideshow. Another strange thing is that the OSD for Afterburner/Riva Tuner works fine in every other game I own and on the title/options screens for Split Second, but once the main race loads, the OSD disappears. The way I know it's not going past 405 MHz is by looking at the Hardware Monitor graph inside Afterburner after alt-tabbing out of the game or shutting it down.

Even stranger is that even after closing Split Second, the card won't go above 405 MHz period. Not in any other games, Passmark tests, nothing. The only way to make it ramp back up like it should is to restart the computer. Then of course after loading Split Second again, it locks at 405.

Any idea what the problem is? I've tried every driver version from the time when I first got the card and it worked properly, up to the most recent one using Display Driver Uninstaller between each. Tried running the card at stock speeds too. I have no idea what the problem is. Nothing has changed in the MOBO BIOS since the card worked properly with Split Second either. I'm at a loss here. Had the game always been this way, I'd chalk it up to the game itself, but as I've said, it worked fine the half a dozen times I played it after this build and it only recently started doing this.

One more thing, I also changed the "Power Management Mode" option for Split Second inside the nVidia control panel from it's default "adaptive" to "prefer maximum performance" to no avail. Even setting the option globally to maximum performance has no effect.

The rest of my system specs are below:

Skylake 6600K @ 4.5GHz
16GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 2400MHz
ASUS Z170 Plus MOBO
Silverstone 450W SFX PSU
Windows 10 x64

Thanks for any ideas on this. After thinking for a second (no pun intended), it's almost as if the card/drivers aren't seeing the main race portion of the game as a 3D application and not boosting the core speed for some reason. As far as it locking to 405 MHz after the game exits, I really don't know.

Last edited:

xorbe

Sep 7, 2011
You already tried "prefer max performance", so here's my next wag:

With nvidia cards when this happens, power off the machine, and unplug the PSU for 15 seconds. Sometimes they reportedly get jammed like this, and the problem survives warm reboots and even short power downs.

Check that the fan is spinning, and also the gpu temp.

Last edited:

Rick540

Dec 13, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I completely shut down every night, but I also went ahead and unplugged it as well and drained the residual power by pressing the power button, all to no avail. Fan and temps are fine. Also tried running the game with Afterburner/Riva Tuner shut down but that didn't help either.

Reinstalled the game too but still nothing. Not the end of the world I suppose, but I guess for the time being it's going to be Need For Speed.

The main thing that bugs me is that I can't understand why the game prevents the clock speed from going beyond 405 MHz even after the game is shut down. If it was only an in game problem then my guess would be that the driver software isn't seeing the game as a 3D application. And why only Split Second? Why did the game previously work and now it doesn't?

Maybe a mystery that will never be solved...

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
When all else fails you need a testbed clean OS install, _no_updates_ and the game. Put it on a different HDD/SSD/etc partition instead of nuking the current one.

No updates is important because if nothing changed on the system but you have windows updates enabled, then things did change on the system.