Strange ethernet connection problems

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I just recently started having internet connection problems. At random I lose my internet connection and only get a 'page cannot be displayed' message. After that it usually takes several router reboots to get things working again.

I havn't changed anything in over a year. Same router, same cable modem...

I decided to get a new router to see if it would fix the problem since I kind of wanted a better router anyways. Still having the same issues.

This is the strange part...

The cable modem doesn't lose connection to the internet when it happens. The router light shows that I have internet connection. The connection notifier in the taskbar shows I am connected to the router and am sending/receiving packets. But during this time, I can't connect to my router by typing in its IP address into IE. The router itself disapears from my 'network places' folder as well.

Just out of curiosity, I ran the setup cd that came with the router.. It said it couldn't find the router connected to my computer.. even though it was sending and recieving packets from it.

Both routers do the same thing so I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down to a problem in the computer itself. I was going to updated my ethernet drivers but the ethernet card is integrated into the motherboard.. and I don't feel like digging around the asus website right now. :disgust:

any help is appreciated.

EDIT: It appears that when I lose internet connection.. all current connections stay alive. I've lost my ability to connect to any website other than the ones that allready have live connections to. So I'm stuck at anandtech it seems..:D But not any other website on the internet can be accessed without restarting the route and/or computer and/or rubbing tummy while patting head at the same time. :confused:

EDIT: My computer thinks it's on a 'shared' internet connection...

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
A "WAN Connection on F5d8233" keeps showing up in my network connections folder saying 'disconnected' every time my internet gets flaky. In the properties of this connection it's indicating that the connection is a shared internet connection. This connection disapears from the network connections folder when my internet is working fine.

If I right-click on it and have it 'connect' it spends a little time trying to connect then the progress box disapears and it leaves me back at the network connections folder still saying disconnected.

It's not a shared connection!

Computer - router - cable modem

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Run Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy

Both are free.

Give it a shot and get back to us with the results.

Good Luck

Scott

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I appreciate it.

Just did a scan with both and cleaned what was found. Nothing critical was found that I noticed.

Now I just need to play around and wait until the problem happens again if it does. It's random so I can't say for sure if it still exists.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
This is getting so annoying.

What is this 'internet gateway' that keeps appearing in my network connections?

When I try to get it to connect, my router reboots then it says on my computer 'cannot connect' or something similar to that.