Strange CPU issue

Alpina

Apr 14, 2012
Hey

So i got i7 920 @ 3665Mhz 1.232V and I done all kinds of stress testing at 100% cpu load and my load temps never even go over 75 celc. Usually ~70 celc.

Now today i ran Starcraft 2, and at one point my CPU gadget was showing 2nd Core temp 97 celc, and on max load. All other cores were without any load. I then closed SC2, opened realTemp and tried again SC2 and temps were just fine.

So it is possible that for some reason SC2 made my core go to 97 celc when no stressing program can, or it's probably just CPU gadget error?

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
CPU temperature programs all do different things with the information given out by CPUs. Not all of them are right about the actual temperature. Realtemp is better than most in this regard and I would trust it over another program.

Alpina

Apr 14, 2012
CPU temperature programs all do different things with the information given out by CPUs. Not all of them are right about the actual temperature. Realtemp is better than most in this regard and I would trust it over another program.

Ok, but my question remains, if for example Prime95 or Linx at 100% load makes my cpu only ~75 celc max, is it possible that the game for some reason ups the core to 97 celc?

Edgemeal

Dec 8, 2007
Ok, but my question remains, if for example Prime95 or Linx at 100% load makes my cpu only ~75 celc max, is it possible that the game for some reason ups the core to 97 celc?

Without knowing your hardware specs and the possibility of wrong temp readings that seems like a big difference. IOW is it possible the case cooling can't keep up with the heat produced by the GPU when gaming and causing a much higher ambient case temp and effecting the CPU cooling (if CPU is air cooled)?

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Without knowing your hardware specs and the possibility of wrong temp readings that seems like a big difference. IOW is it possible the case cooling can't keep up with the heat produced by the GPU when gaming and causing a much higher ambient case temp and effecting the CPU cooling (if CPU is air cooled)?

This is a good point, IBT might stress your CPU out harder but if your GPU is feeding warm air into your case then gaming is going to make your CPU hotter even though it is under less load.

Alpina

Apr 14, 2012
The case is definitely well cooled (Corsair 500R) and GPU temp does not go over 65 celc playing Starctaft 2 either, so i guess it was just a windows gadget error.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I once had SpeedFan momentarily report a temp of 127C for my stock-speed 960T, despite the fact that even with a dusty HSF the worst temp I've seen was >65C.

Otherwise SpeedFan works for me.

Last edited: