Question Strange browser (Firefox) behavior - won't launch until at least 2, or 3 double clicks!

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I built a 5600G based Windows 11 system a few weeks back. I have Firefox, Chrome and Edge icons over on the left side of the desktop.

I've been noticing something strange. When I try to launch Chrome, it comes up. When I try to launch Edge, it comes up even faster. But when I try to launch Firefox, nothing happens.
It typically takes me 2 or 3 times to get Firefox to launch. When it does, it behaves normally, but it's almost like Firefox is grumpy, and needs more prodding to get aroused from
slumber, or something like that. Firefox IS typically the first thing I try to launch - now I'm wondering if order might have something to do with it. Next time I'll try to launch the other
2 first, and see if either of them has any problems... hmm.

Any thoughts on what could cause this sort of behavior? Should I uninstall, then reinstall to see if it continues? I've never seen anything like this before on any of our desktops or
laptops....

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Is the firefox window coming up but it's blank and stays that way for a while? I see this every now and again and I have to "refresh" firefox. It's a pain in the butt though since I've done a ton of customization to firefox and my add-ons and all that gets wiped. Also note that I run firefox in a sandbox which I've always assumed was the cause of my prolonged blank screen issue.

I would try troubleshooting mode first though as it's will help narrow down the issue a bit. Updating firefox may also be a good idea if the problem is recent.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are you launching Firefox, before the networking connection to the internet is "up" on that PC or NIC (wifi?)

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Is the firefox window coming up but it's blank and stays that way for a while? I see this every now and again and I have to "refresh" firefox. It's a pain in the butt though since I've done a ton of customization to firefox and my add-ons and all that gets wiped. Also note that I run firefox in a sandbox which I've always assumed was the cause of my prolonged blank screen issue.

I would try troubleshooting mode first though as it's will help narrow down the issue a bit. Updating firefox may also be a good idea if the problem is recent.

No, it just acts like it doesn't detect me double clicking, several times. I need to try the other 2 browsers first and see if I get the same behavior. As I said, I have never seen this behavior before on any systems. We have cable internet that is always on.

Once I have double clicked the Firefox icon successfully, I don't see this behavior again, until the system has been turned off.

Hmm, launching before network connection is up - hadn't thought of that. It uses an m.2 ssd, so I figured that by the time icons were up, everything would be ready to go. Again, I'll try one of the other browsers next time, & see if behavior is duplicated with them.

Reactions: balloonshark

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Just as a FYI edge runs in the background and starts in the background on windows start up as default behaviour.
If you don't use it so much and want to save some resources (or don't like unnecessary programs running in the background) you can disable both those things in the edge settings.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Some firefox extensions cause slow start namely firefox color will keep it in a loading momement for longer than the native theming engine with premade stuff. firefox has always been slow to start going back to when they were known as phoenix.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Hmm, launching before network connection is up - hadn't thought of that. It uses an m.2 ssd, so I figured that by the time icons were up, everything would be ready to go. Again, I'll try one of the other browsers next time, & see if behavior is duplicated with them.
ya mean at startup? do you use defender or 3rd party services? for 3rd party soe of them suppress app launch and internet connection before they intialise some kind of self protect feature.