Straight Talk vs T-Mobile Prepaid

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Hi All,

I currently use T-Mobile's $30 prepaid to get unlimited text and data with 100 voice minutes per month. I've been on the plan for a few months and love having unlimited text and data, but the 100 minutes feels claustrophobic.

I'm thinking of jumping to straight talk for their $45 unlimited plan. I'd be using my T-Mobile Note II. Can anybody comment on coverage differences, data speed, etc? Is there a small data limit before speeds begin to crawl that is part of the "unlimited" data straight talk provides?

Also, is there a benefit to finding an AT&T straight talk sim or is the cost premium pointless?

Thanks in advance,
Trevor

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Do you use Google Voice? If so you could use an app like Groove IP to make your calls using your data instead of minutes.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
IIRC overage is 10c/min, which means you'd have to go over 250min in a month to make the Straight Talk plan worth it that time.

And I'd be fine with the overage, but when I reach 100 minutes, the call disconnects immediately.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Do you use Google Voice? If so you could use an app like Groove IP to make your calls using your data instead of minutes.

My number's not ported to google voice. I was using google voice for visual voicemail on verizon, but tmobile prepaid doesn't work allow the appropriate settings to allow google voice usage.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
My number's not ported to google voice. I was using google voice for visual voicemail on verizon, but tmobile prepaid doesn't work allow the appropriate settings to allow google voice usage.
Well, you can port the cell to GV and have customer service disable T-Mo voice mail.

I believe you can also phone them after you initiate the port request so they give your SIM a new number instead of cancelling it.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

Well, the benefit with Google Voice is that you can then use data for calls, which means completely free calls when on wifi. I that's definitely worth keeping the $15/month savings.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I bought a ST sim card but ended up going with the T-Mobile prepaid plan, they use the same network. But with TM I get visual voicemail, which may or may not be important to you. But I love it, and ST doesn't offer it. I do wish TM would offer a $40 in between plan with like 300 minutes. Because 100's not enough but I don't need unlimited or want to spend $50, oh well.

RoarTiger

Mar 30, 2013
And I'd be fine with the overage, but when I reach 100 minutes, the call disconnects immediately.

You need to have the money in your account in advance to avoid interruption. Just send them a few extra dollars to keep a positive balance going then refresh that when needed. Been a while since I did prepaid but that is how it worked.

Nov 29, 2006

Just add like an extra $15 to your account in advance. It will sit there until it is used up at 10c/min. That is what i do. I dont usually go over 100mins but when i do it falls back on that $15 i put in. As fas as i know that doesnt expire so it may sit there for 6 months before its all used up.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Just add like an extra $15 to your account in advance. It will sit there until it is used up at 10c/min. That is what i do. I dont usually go over 100mins but when i do it falls back on that $15 i put in. As fas as i know that doesnt expire so it may sit there for 6 months before its all used up.

I wasn't sure that was an option, but that's what I prefer to do. Keeping a small reserve for overages is exactly what I'll look at doing.

Thanks everybody for your assistance.

Nov 29, 2006
I wasn't sure that was an option, but that's what I prefer to do. Keeping a small reserve for overages is exactly what I'll look at doing.

Thanks everybody for your assistance.

I should say "i believe' it doesnt expire for a while. May want to double check that. It seems as if mine has been there for a while. But if it does expire monthly maybe do what another poster mentioned and just add a couple bucks extra per month for any overages. Still comes out cheaper than Straight Talks extra $15/month.

Silenus

Mar 11, 2008
I should say "i believe' it doesnt expire for a while. May want to double check that. It seems as if mine has been there for a while. But if it does expire monthly maybe do what another poster mentioned and just add a couple bucks extra per month for any overages. Still comes out cheaper than Straight Talks extra $15/month.

It's 90 days. Anytime you refill the amount you put in is good for 90 days. You can add funds in increments as small as $10, up through $70, and they are all good for 90 days. However, if you do a single $100 refill...its good for a year (365 days).

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
if you live in a tmo city and you never go outside the city, tmo is freaking AWESOME. I use Skype on my 100min a month plan. rarely go over my minutes because Skype works so well. many times Skype is actually a higher quality call...

but when im traveling it SUCKS. you get either 4g or 2g. 2g can BARELY stream a 32kb audio stream, and that's perfect conditions. normally, 2g is F.U.g

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Wait, don't you end up putting in $30+ every month anyway? How do they know what's "new" and what's "old"? Does money still expire when you're talking about this kind of monthly plan?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Wait, don't you end up putting in $30+ every month anyway? How do they know what's "new" and what's "old"? Does money still expire when you're talking about this kind of monthly plan?

good question. I had the same one.

about 3 months ago, I put extra money on my account because I was over my min. I still have $6.90 actually from that showing as part of my balance.

basically, every month I just pay $30 and that extra money stays on there. It looks like it resets the timer every month because I pay. youre right.

they will take the money if there is no payment on the account for 3 months. ive been trying to look at my bill but it seems I have to register with a different tmobile account for that :(