Straight Talk updates TOS now specifies 2.5 GB is data limit then throttle

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
On the main page, net10 also has been updated.

30 day Unlimited Plans include 2.5 GB of high speed data per 30 day cycle. After 2.5 GB, your data speed will be reduced for the remainder of the 30 day cycle. High speed data is restored once a new 30 day service plan is added. Other limitations, terms and conditions of service apply.Straight talk reserves the right to terminate your service for unauthorized or abnormal usage. Please refer always to the latest Terms and Conditions of service.

http://data.straighttalk.com/?lang=en

Slightly better since we now know the limits? Hopefully now we can use the data as we want without throttle for using too much in a day and such.

Maybe those lawsuits for false advertising got them to admit the data cap.

Last edited:

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
ST offers 3-mos of unlimited everything for $130 or $43/mo, they seem to offer a lot of phones running Android 2,3

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
if only they didn't provide dalmatian like service. paying 30 bucks a month here for T-mobile is money flushed down the toilet. no coverage
Well, its good if you have good coverage :p
Too bad you need to be near a metropolitan area to get good service.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
ST offers 3-mos of unlimited everything for $130 or $43/mo, they seem to offer a lot of phones running Android 2,3

no one buys straight talk phones. you can just buy a Sim card (att or Tmobile) and bring your own phone.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
30 day Unlimited Plans include 2.5 GB of high speed data per 30 day cycle. After 2.5 GB, your data speed will be reduced for the remainder of the 30 day cycle. High speed data is restored once a new 30 day service plan is added. Other limitations, terms and conditions of service apply.Straight talk reserves the right to terminate your service for unauthorized or abnormal usage. Please refer always to the latest Terms and Conditions of service.
With the 90 day card, you refill once and it's good for 3 months. They don't fill for 30 days, then automatically fill for 30 days, then automatically fill for another 30 days on the 90 day plan.

What if you get the 90 day refill card? So, you have a 90 day refill card and you use 3GB your first 20 days, and they throttle you until when??? What happens to the remaining two months?

Looks like they have the potential to throttle you until the end of the 90 day cycle.
Or is it me that is reading too much into this?

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I agree that 100 minutes are nowhere near sufficient. But then again, if that plan gave you ~1,500 minutes it wouldn't be $30. ^^ Boy, I hate carriers' pricing models - similar BS that you often have to deal with choosing devices' storage sizes.

Though if you think of it like a 4G data plan with a bonus of 100 minutes of voice, it is still more than competitive. I do not remember exactly but most carriers charge at least as much for 5 GB data on contracts. I know AT&T is like $10~$15 per Gig.

antef

Dec 29, 2010
Straight Talk is simply the most amazing deal in wireless in the US, I have no idea why more people don't use them or why the T-Mobile plan is always mentioned first. For $45/month you're getting AT&T's 3G AND LTE network and now a confirmed 2.5 GB of high-speed data and unlimited 2G. Can't be beat.

Dec 10, 2005
Except for people who actually receive calls. 100 minutes is useless for most people. Not everyone live in the text and IM world.

But it's not limited to 100 minutes. You just have to look at your usage. At $0.10/minute for each extra minute, you'd have to talk for almost 250 minutes/month to equal the cost-outlay for ST. And if you wanted to, you could always lower your actual airtime by using various WiFi calling options.

Granted, it's not for everyone, but it is still a great option.

Jinny

Feb 16, 2000
Straight Talk is simply the most amazing deal in wireless in the US, I have no idea why more people don't use them or why the T-Mobile plan is always mentioned first. For $45/month you're getting AT&T's 3G AND LTE network and now a confirmed 2.5 GB of high-speed data and unlimited 2G. Can't be beat.

I've used straightalk for 1-2 years now. i've never had LTE access.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Straight Talk is simply the most amazing deal in wireless in the US, I have no idea why more people don't use them...

There are always trade offs going to an MVNO. For instance, straight talk has 30 day plans. Half the months of the year have 31 days, so your due date keeps changing. Forget to refill, and the service is cut off at midnight. International calling won't work unless you have money sitting in your prepaid account. I need to call Canadian numbers from time to time, and I can't do it from Virgin Mobile on the Pay-Lo plan, nor from my NET10 phone (I need to break out my Verizon postpaid phone for that). Then there's the difference between MVNO's roaming agreements (sometimes none) and full-service postpaid roaming. And need I mention America Movil's notoriously inept customer no-service?

Last edited:

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
There are always trade offs going to an MVNO. For instance, straight talk has 30 day plans. Half the months of the year have 31 days, so your due date keeps changing. Forget to refill, and the service is cut off at midnight. International calling won't work unless you have money sitting in your prepaid account. I need to call Canadian numbers from time to time, and I can't do it from Virgin Mobile on the Pay-Lo plan (I need to break out my Verizon postpaid phone for that). Then there's the difference between MVNO's roaming agreements (sometimes none) and full-service postpaid roaming. And need I mention America Movil's notoriously inept customer no-service?

1. They have auto-refill, or load up on 3 month service. They have text and e-mail reminders when you are getting near too. Do you ever forget to pay your postpaid bill? No, because they send you e-mails and have auto-payment same with prepaid.

2. They have an international calling plan ($60) or buy international calling cards. Don't know never use.

3. ST has roaming people say.

4. Agree they are the worst CS/company ever.

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
ST doesn't roam internationally, so its useless for me. I am on the tmo $30 plan and it works in Canada. I use about 5 voice minutes a month (if that).

antef

Dec 29, 2010
1. They have auto-refill, or load up on 3 month service. They have text and e-mail reminders when you are getting near too. Do you ever forget to pay your postpaid bill? No, because they send you e-mails and have auto-payment same with prepaid.

2. They have an international calling plan ($60) or buy international calling cards. Don't know never use.

3. ST has roaming people say.

4. Agree they are the worst CS/company ever.

Just to add to these things...

1. Yep, auto-refill works great, no different than paying a post-paid bill.

2. Use GV, cheap international (2 cents a minute). Used it to call UK, worked great. I would never want to pay insane rates to VZW or AT&T for their international packages, complete gouging.

3. I believe AT&T Straight Talk will roam to T-Mobile for calls/texts, but it's not really a concern with AT&T coverage anyway.

4. I used their CS once when I wanted to get the $2.50/month discount for using auto-refill. I called, auto-prompt took my name and number and said they would call me back. They called me back within 30 min and got everything taken care of just fine.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
I know there's auto refill. But with 31 days in a month, and 30 days on the plan, the due date has to change constantly, which is a difference from post-paid.

Now, that's actually not much of a concern for me these days, but I wasn't a born silver-spooner. I've lived paycheck-to-paycheck for years at a time. Having all bills due the same days each month helps planning and budgeting.

Edit: And "some people say there is roaming," is not the same as saying "there is roaming."

Last edited:

Dice144

Oct 22, 2010
I tried Straight Talk with T mobile sim for almost a month now. Inside building I knew it was going to be worse than ATT but it is WAY worse.

Friends complain they cannot hear me as well. Also got in an accident and the t mobile phone kept breaking up and the operator could barely hear me.

Edit: so guess I will keep the $65 a month ATT until sometime works better for hiking and indoors. T mobile without roaming is useless when going to odd places in NY countryside.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
I tried Straight Talk with T mobile sim for almost a month now. Inside building I knew it was going to be worse than ATT but it is WAY worse.

Friends complain they cannot hear me as well. Also got in an accident and the t mobile phone kept breaking up and the operator could barely hear me.

Edit: so guess I will keep the $65 a month ATT until sometime works better for hiking and indoors. T mobile without roaming is useless when going to odd places in NY countryside.

Then you should try ST with ATT sim.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I'd be careful about buying long service plans with ST. I've heard reports of people getting throttled until the end of the plan date, people getting throttled permanently, etc. There isn't a lot of recourse with ST, so its best keeping it so you can bail if you need to.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I'm new to ST, how do they handle roaming?

I have excellent TMo/AT&T in my area, which should I use if roaming is important?