Straight Guys - Would you take women advice from a gay guy?

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
I have yet to see the "Queer Eye.." show, but I was listening to a segment this morning where gay guys were giving advice to straight guys on how to impress women. Some of the advice, such as actually listening to a female when she speaks, I can see myself following (well, sorta.. ;) ). However, as I was tucking in my blue shirt into my black pants this morning one of the gay guys said, "Black and brown, you look like a clown; black and blue is not for you." 'course at the point, I was like f-it, and finished tucking in my shirt.

I think at some point if you take too much of that advice, you'd come across as being, well, gay.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
what would a gay man know about pleasing women?

i can see if gay guys were giving advice to straight guys on how to impress men... but women? just because they think they're women, doesn't mean they know what women want.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
'course the women on the radio show were cheering all the advice the gay guys were giving, continually saying things like, "Guys, I hope you're listening!" But heck, I think it's just one of those things where girls may say they want their guy that way, but they really like us when we're unshaven, wearing a t-shirt with holes and scratching ourselves. :D

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Would I take women advice from a gay guy?

I'll be the first to give a qualified HELL YES! ;)

This is speaking from experience. One the ushers at my wedding impressed a hell of a lot of people buy getting the ushers dressed the same (It's a little thing, but something that hadn't even come to my mind. ;) )

just because they think they're women, doesn't mean they know what women want.
You'd be surprised.

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Depends on the guy....in my experience with gay people I know, they often tend to be quite good friends with members of the opposite sex so they do actually have different insight than straight guys would...I think the ideal thing would be to take 1/3 advice from a gay guy with many female friends, 1/3 advice from a female friend and 1/3 advice from your mates and there you have it....improved female knowledge.

Then afterwards, if you have time...speak to Alvin Hall and you can get some good money advice.

EvilTwin996

Dec 12, 2000
They don't think they're women...they just think LIKE women. They have a much better insight into what women want than straight men. Geeks listen up!! You could learn something here.

Think about it...why are there so many women hanging around gay men? Why do so many of them wish (and some even try) to "convert" the gay man? It's because gay men, on average, are closer to the "ideal" that most women have in their minds.

So, yeah...I would at least listen to what he had to say!

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Gay guys probably have a different perspective on women than straight men, and so they might be worth listening to just to get a different viewpoint. However, I generally don't ask for or take advice on women from anyone because I have discovered that no one I've talked to knows any more than I do at this point. And everything I do know I've learned the hard way.

Now fashion is another thing. I am not exactly the best dresser in the world, so I take any advice I can get :p

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
why not?

if i didn't have a gf and wanted one and had trouble getting one why would i turn away anyone's advice?

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't need a gay guy to tell me not to wear black and blue together. And that's not women advice, that's fashion advice.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero
I don't need a gay guy to tell me not to wear black and blue together. And that's not women advice, that's fashion advice.
There's nothing wrong with wearing black and blue together. Black and NAVY blue is the combination to avoid.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero

It's a blue and white shirt. I think it looks fine! It's still women advice in the sense that guys usually don't care about fashion faux pas of other guys. Girls do tho'.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Gay men do not inherently have a superior "queer eye".

it is not inborn - rather it is CULTIVATED (as "style" is often important to queer men).

There are many many SLOPPY gay men who have no clue about style (just as there are straight men with a great eye for fashion).

However, most of women's clothing are DESIGNED by gay men. ;)

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
I wouldn't take it to heart because their advice is probably no better than anyone else's advice.

SpiderX

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2002
Yup, my best friend is gay. He's a smart lad. And Queer Eye... is a great show. It's not gay tips they give out. They give out tips that improve everyone.

Jul 1, 2000
The general ignorance of this thread is rather astounding.

All gay men do not want to be women. Some do, and they join the transgendered or transsexual community. The great majority are just men with a different preference.

As far as fashion sense goes, I believe that it is a matter of culture. The gay culture seems to be more tuned in to fashion than traditional "straight" America is. That being said, there are some sloppy gay men out there, as previously stated in this thread.

With regard to the sense about what women want, I believe that that is more a function of just listening to a woman. When a straight man is talking to a woman that he is attracted to, his primary focus is rubbing his bits on her naughty parts. As such, a lot of "communication" is lost, because the man is singleminded of purpose. A gay man wants nothing of her naughty parts, so it is logical that any conversation that he would engage in would be more deep, so to speak. A gay man can learn a lot more about what women want, because he actually listens.

In short, yes I would take advice from a gay man.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Ranger X
I wouldn't take it to heart because their advice is probably no better than anyone else's advice.
First of all, valid point's Devil's Advocate - especially "The general ignorance of this [forum] is rather astounding." :D

Secondly - the Show "Queer Eye" - look at the gay "experts"; they are truly recognized as experts in their field.

I'd take their advice (unless I lived in a small town; in that case - I'd move and then take their advice). ;)
(about "style") ;)

rolleye.gif