Storyline or Gameplay?

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
I am just curious to see what other people thought. I personally found myself putting on god mode on HL2:EP2 just for the storyline, all the game play was nice and I will go back later and do the game without god mode but I wanted to see what happened, who did what and when, how this was falling into place.

So should Gameplay > Story, Story > Gameplay, or a mix of both?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
A novel-like storyline with repetitive gameplay won't make me finish it. The same can be said for a game that is amazing gameplay wise but has an airhead of a story.

fierydemise

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
If the gameplay is good I can deal with a poor story to an extent however its somewhat genre defendant, I'd be far more forgiving of a FPS game with a poor story and good gameplay then I would of a RPG. While I'd love to have both gameplay and a good story I can forgive poor story more then I can poor gameplay so I guess gameplay is more important.

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
Gameplay is more important, though a nice carrot-on-a-stick story can also motivate me to actually finish the game.

A good example is BioShock. It has great gameplay but the story also lures you into wanting to play more.

I guess they can go hand in hand, as games like Bioshock, Portal and HL2 demonstrate, in which the story is very well integrated into the gameplay, since everything is shown as the game unfolds, instead of relying on long, overdrawn cutscenes like many other games these days.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I love a good story but I play games for gameplay. If I cared primarily about story I'd read a book.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Gameplay is way more important. Quake had literally no story, but it stayed alive for a good 7 years.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Dreamfall is probably the best example of absolutely shitty gameplay combined with a great story.

Many shooters have the gameplay, but no story.

Gameplay keeps you coming back to play many times over. Story is usually one and done.

That said, PS:T was mostly story, and I went back to that a few times.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I care mainly about plot, dialog, character development and interactivity.

Dreamfall is probably the best example of absolutely shitty gameplay combined with a great story.
Should I play The Longest Journey before I play Dreamfall?

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
I care mainly about plot, dialog, character development and interactivity.

Should I play The Longest Journey before I play Dreamfall?

It would be a good idea to play TLJ first, yes. Several of the original characters appear in Dreamfall, and past events are referenced. Without TLJ, you'll be having quite a few 'Huh?' moments in Dreamfall. TLJ is the better game overall.

Wolfstan

Oct 8, 2005
It really depends on the genre. I'm not looking for much backstory when I'm blasting the crap out of players in TF2.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Gameplay, easily. I think among my list of top 10 games, four or five have hardly any story to speak of. Although I can think of a handful of adventure games where the story is exceptionally good and makes up for pedestrian gameplay.

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
I think it's much easier for good gameplay to overcome a bad story, than a good story overcoming bad gameplay. I know I'll get flamed for this, but two examples of this are Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy. Their stories make absolutely no sense, but their gameplay is solid enough to make you want to finish it.

That said, I think a good story is more likely to make you have fond memories of a game.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Why can't we have the best of both worlds? Like Baldur's Gate II - that had PLOT as well as GAMEPLAY.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Gameplay, definitely.

But having both, while being a very rare thing, is the best you can ask for.

Om51

Dec 30, 2004
I just finished KoTOR-1
One of the best games I had ever playend , great story with a good gameplay and graphics .

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Quake 1 is an example of gameplay over story
Planescape is an example of story over gameplay

Quake 1 is smart because no story is actually better than a really bad story. This train of thought goes in line with "If you can't do voice acting well, don't do it at all". While Planescape is a solid example of story over gameplay, it does not necessarily have bad gameplay. That is to say, it is never jarring enough to make you say this really sucks.

Of course, keeping with these 2 examples, I did not play Planescape for 10 years straight, but Quake1 got a decent bulk of play time for as long as I've had it. Good gameplay usually means replayability, while a good story is akin to a movie.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Noema
Gameplay is more important, though a nice carrot-on-a-stick story can also motivate me to actually finish the game.

A good example is BioShock. It has great gameplay but the story also lures you into wanting to play more.

I guess they can go hand in hand, as games like Bioshock, Portal and HL2 demonstrate, in which the story is very well integrated into the gameplay, since everything is shown as the game unfolds, instead of relying on long, overdrawn cutscenes like many other games these days.

I disagree about Bioshock,I can only rate it average at best ,so boring etc..classics for storyline probably are games like Planescape Torment,gameplay wise BG2,KOTOR,Undying etc are good examples of games that keep you hooked.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
ideally, it would be both, but if i can't stand to play the game, i really don't care about the story.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Mem
Originally posted by: Noema

I disagree about Bioshock,I can only rate it average at best ,so boring etc..classics for storyline probably are games like Planescape Torment,gameplay wise BG2,KOTOR,Undying etc are good examples of games that keep you hooked.

man, BioShock was one of the best games I've played recently. The story was really good It really drew me in and i wanted to keep playing to continue it. The gameplay was pretty much standard fare for FPS games, but it wasn't horrible.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
For me, it's all story. 90% story, 10% gameplay. If the story sucks, the game sucks. I do appreciate good gameplay but the game does not become memorable without a great storyline.

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
My next question would be what kind of "gameplay" is great? (If you list a game list the reason that gameplay is good)

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
Story. I played FF12 which had great gameplay and battle system. But the story sucked so that pretty much ruined it for me.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Overall: Gameplay.
Video games are exactly that, games.
If story was the most important thing we wouldnt be playing games, we'd be watching movies (which happen to suck these days).

However, a good story helps keep the game engaging and interesting. Some of the better RPG's are perfect examples of this. (Deus Ex, KOTOR, and the Baldurs Gate series.)
And a half-assed story cant totally destroy a really good game, it just makes finishing it seem really hollow (KOTOR 2).

But.......
A a game with a good story yet poorly executed game play will suck balls and make you quit halfway through (Oblivion, Neverwinter 2).

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Overall: Gameplay.
Video games are exactly that, games.
If story was the most important thing we wouldnt be playing games, we'd be watching movies (which happen to suck these days).

However, a good story helps keep the game engaging and interesting. Some of the better RPG's are perfect examples of this. (Deus Ex, KOTOR, and the Baldurs Gate series.)
And a half-assed story cant totally destroy a really good game, it just makes finishing it seem really hollow (KOTOR 2).

But.......
A a game with a good story yet poorly executed game play will suck balls and make you quit halfway through (Oblivion, Neverwinter 2).

Oblivion had a good story?