Story of a cat and a computer

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Long story short I went away for a month unexpectedly I had someone come by every couple days to take care of him but apparently he didn't like it so he peed on one of my computers. I had left my computer on I guess he liked the warm air. Anyway when I came back the computer had shut down. So I left it aside for a couple of months, didn't feel like dealing with it and I had others. But now I was looking at trying to restore it. I pulled everything apart, the hard drives cleaned up and work, the power supply works but the parts of the MB and GPU have some surface corrosion on them, And the case is rusty in some parts. I figure the case I can dremel the rust spots and paint a primer. But the GPU and MB not sure of. Anyone ever have anything like this and suggest some possibilities or should I just toss em, Here are some pictures.

PuDpwpr.jpg

BSsU6HX.jpg

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
You're trying to tell us ONE house cat did that? Are you sure you didn't take the side off and fill it with litter before you left?

Reactions: PottedMeat

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
ugh a cat pee soaked case, motherboard, and gpu. toss everything that doesn't work immediately, including the case. its one thing to get the corrosion off exposed pins by scrubbing but who knows how much piss and corroded metal bridges are under those bga packages. even if it does work i bet it would stink as bad as a smokers computer.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I tend to agree. That is not viable to try and clean or fix it. You need a new motherboard, case and graphics card. And a new home for that cat (it was probably a male cat) .. They have a tendency to mark their territory.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I tend to agree. That is not viable to try and clean or fix it. You need a new motherboard, case and graphics card. And a new home for that cat (it was probably a male cat) .. They have a tendency to mark their territory.

Thanks for input. I'll be getting a new case MB and GPU. Gonna keep the cat.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Long story short I went away for a month unexpectedly I had someone come by every couple days to take care of him but apparently he didn't like it so he peed on one of my computers. I had left my computer on I guess he liked the warm air. Anyway when I came back the computer had shut down. So I left it aside for a couple of months, didn't feel like dealing with it and I had others. But now I was looking at trying to restore it. I pulled everything apart, the hard drives cleaned up and work, the power supply works but the parts of the MB and GPU have some surface corrosion on them, And the case is rusty in some parts. I figure the case I can dremel the rust spots and paint a primer. But the GPU and MB not sure of. Anyone ever have anything like this and suggest some possibilities or should I just toss em, Here are some pictures.

PuDpwpr.jpg

BSsU6HX.jpg

If i were to guess, I'd say he probably peed on it from stress or from the tender not dealing with the litter box (just as likely either way). At that point I'd write it off as an L just from the potential 'water damage' alone, much less the corrosion, and the fact you'll never fully clean it.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The problem with Cats is they know they are smarter than Humans. I would kick the cat out of the house and make him an outside cat. It may be time to put it to sleep for a cat nap. The question is "How much do you like the Cat?"

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It would be nice if you could keep the computer locked up in an office like a cat free zone. We had an old cat that loved to sit on top of my old CRT monitor. We just kind of put up with it. They like to be around people and they love warm spots.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Domestic cats are intensely social animals, and "indoor cats" should in general never be left alone for more than a day (outdoor cats are slightly more resilient due to interactions with other cats and people outside). This will cause them severe psychological distress, and they will act out.

If you have work that potentially requires you to unexpectedly leave for more than a day or two, either get a reliable cat sitter (who will take the cat home, not just visit occasionally) or give the cat away. Otherwise, you're just hurting your cat on purpose.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Domestic cats are intensely social animals, and "indoor cats" should in general never be left alone for more than a day (outdoor cats are slightly more resilient due to interactions with other cats and people outside). This will cause them severe psychological distress, and they will act out.

If you have work that potentially requires you to unexpectedly leave for more than a day or two, either get a reliable cat sitter (who will take the cat home, not just visit occasionally) or give the cat away. Otherwise, you're just hurting your cat on purpose.

Oh yea I agree I really had not choice it was a medical emergency.

And thanks all for the suggestions.