Storm could strike on seventh anniversary of Katrina

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
8-27-2012

http://gma.yahoo.com/tropical-storm...ulf-coast-054413176--abc-news-topstories.html

Hurricane Warnings Issued for Gulf Coast

Isaac is expected to strengthen to a weak Category 2 or Category 1 hurricane before making landfall along the Gulf Coast by Tuesday night, Wednesday morning, according to the National Hurricane Center. Hurricane warnings were issued from east of Morgan City, La. -- which includes New Orleans -- to Destin, Fla.

If it hits the Gulf Coast Wednesday morning, as forecasters said is possible, it would come on the seventh anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, which killed hundreds of people and flooded 80 percent of New Orleans. A hurricane hasn't hit the Gulf Coast since Ike in 2008.

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu admitted anxiety levels are high.

"The timing of this storm coming on, as fate would have it, the anniversary of Katrina, has everybody in a state and sense of alertness and that is a good thing," he said Sunday.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal declared a state of emergency and said he's "strongly advising" people in low lying areas of coastal Louisiana to evacuate ahead of the storm. St. Charles Parish officials told the parish's 53,000 residents to leave ahead of the storm.

Price Gouging law is in effect

Didn't do any good with Katrina, I paid over $6 a gallon in Baton Rouge.

8-27-2012

http://www.wwltv.com/

Last edited:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
8-27-2012

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...upports-extra-growth-measures.html?cmpid=yhoo

Gasoline Jumps With Crude Oil Futures on Supply Threats

Gasoline climbed to the highest in almost four months and oil gained the most in a week after a refinery explosion in Venezuela killed 39 people and Tropical Storm Isaac shut rigs in the Gulf of Mexico.

About 24 percent of U.S. oil production and 8.2 percent of natural gas output from the Gulf of Mexico has been halted as Isaac strengthened.

“The market is reacting to this temporary supply risk” for gasoline and oil, said Carsten Fritsch, an analyst at Commerzbank AG in Frankfurt. “The temporary shutdown of refineries in the Gulf will also lower gasoline supplies.”

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
8-27-2012

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...upports-extra-growth-measures.html?cmpid=yhoo

Gasoline Jumps With Crude Oil Futures on Supply Threats

Gasoline climbed to the highest in almost four months and oil gained the most in a week after a refinery explosion in Venezuela killed 39 people and Tropical Storm Isaac shut rigs in the Gulf of Mexico.

About 24 percent of U.S. oil production and 8.2 percent of natural gas output from the Gulf of Mexico has been halted as Isaac strengthened.

“The market is reacting to this temporary supply risk” for gasoline and oil, said Carsten Fritsch, an analyst at Commerzbank AG in Frankfurt. “The temporary shutdown of refineries in the Gulf will also lower gasoline supplies.”

I guess you'll post this in the gas price thread too

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
given the strength as a Cat2 (max); there should not be any serious issues

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Who did you report the price gouging to.

Did you provide proof when you reported such?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

You are from Chicago...what were you doingon the other side of the nation, in Baton Rouge, right after Katrina hit?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
If you hurry east, you might be able to grab yourself a new TV and bluray player after the mobs smash the windows and start looting.

I did some volunteer work at a katrina evacuation shelter in southeast texas.

I could tell you some stories, such as the daughter of the man that owned the shelter was raped by a guy who evacuated from new orleans. You try to help people, and your daughter gets raped.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
The question remains the same, will the levees hold?

The 17th street canal levee, which was one of the main points of failure, (from which at the time I lived three blocks away) has not been significantly bulwarked to my knowledge. The corps has installed a large pumping system on it so as not to allow the water level to exceed 6 feet, but it has not been made permanent.

I live across the river now in Algiers, which didn't flood during Katrina. I'm riding this one out.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You are from Chicago...what were you doingon the other side of the nation, in Baton Rouge, right after Katrina hit?

Chasing a skirt in LA area at that time; emergency transplant from GA.

He just happens to be in Chicago this year.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
given the strength as a Cat2 (max); there should not be any serious issues

Dunno. The Hurricanes in the Gulf in 2008 screwed up the refineries and the Colonial Pipeline enough that in Charlotte, NC there was no gas... and we continued to have gas shortages for two weeks. Cars were 60 deep at the pumps and people were following tanker trucks around desperate for gas. Schools had to close as they didn't have fuel for the buses... and 911 callers were advised that it had better really be an emergency as even ambulance companies where short on gas and trying to conserve.

We'll be topping off all vehicles over the next day or so and all the gas cans we have just in case... and we don't even drive that much or have a commute.