Stores like Pier 1 and World Market

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I'm looking for stores that are similar to Pier 1 and World Market. Any suggestions?

I'm in the Austin area, so local suggestions are awesome too.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
They cover so many products, what exactly are you looking for?

Nothing in particular. Just looking for places to buy crap to make my apartment look less sterile. I have a week off next week and wouldn't mind wandering around a few stores.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Target has a lot small furniture and home decor stuff at really cheap prices. Has the same asthetic feel as Pier 1 (vs. the more modern look of IKEA)

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Can also check out Marshall's, Ross, JCPenny's for stuff like that at discount too. Another good one is Hobby Lobby, they have coupons that typically are 50% off of decorations or frames, etc.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Leros
I'm looking for stores that are similar to Pier 1 and World Market. Any suggestions?

I'm in the Austin area, so local suggestions are awesome too.

ship me some pluckers

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
They cover so many products, what exactly are you looking for?

Macrame covered, hand-carved wooden dildos with an Island theme . . . the GIANT ones that double as hat stands.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I've always wondered what it is about humans that they feel the need to fill their living spaces with attractive yet useless crap that collects dust.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Amused
I've always wondered what it is about humans that they feel the need to fill their living spaces with attractive yet useless crap that collects dust.

Hey that's his girlfriend you're talking about.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
"like Pier 1"? My wife bought a vase & a bunch of other things at Pier 1. A month later, 300 miles away, we were in Dollar General & saw the exact same vase for $4

So, you might want to start at the dollar store types of places. Not that those cheap stores offer the same amount of variety.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Hwy not just go to Pier 1 and World Market, IIRC there is a Pier 1 on Airport Blvd just past Koenig and the World Market is out 183 Past MoPac.
There are probably other locations as well.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
If you want something like Pier 1 go to the nearest dumpster and then pay $400 for a rickety chair. If you want something like cost plus then go to a home depot and pay $300 for a $50 chair.

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000

No joke. Whenever I rent a furnished apartment, I always put away all of that useless stuff as my first order of business, before unpacking my useful stuff.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

Got me. I can handle pictures on the wall, but beyond that I strongly encourage my wife to buy crap.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
Originally posted by: torpid
If you want something like Pier 1 go to the nearest dumpster and then pay $400 for a rickety chair. If you want something like cost plus then go to a home depot and pay $300 for a $50 chair.

pier 1 has some great deals and some very aesthetically pleasing items. they put stuff on sale like mad. when i moved to a new apartment last january i would go to pier1 see some wall art or decorative piece we liked for like 80 bucks, went back a month later and it was marked down twice to like 20-30 bucks.

plus some of the more expensive stuff is still a good deal, you just have to look.

also you can find some good stuff at HomeGoods if you have the patience to wade through a lot of crap.

it all depends on degree. some people clutter their living space with things, but done well it simply helps create an ambience that beats a sterile empty place.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: idiotekniQues

pier 1 has some great deals and some very aesthetically pleasing items. they put stuff on sale like mad. when i moved to a new apartment last january i would go to pier1 see some wall art or decorative piece we liked for like 80 bucks, went back a month later and it was marked down twice to like 20-30 bucks.

plus some of the more expensive stuff is still a good deal, you just have to look.

also you can find some good stuff at HomeGoods if you have the patience to wade through a lot of crap.

I don't have the patience to keep returning to pier 1 to see if the $100 wicker basket is down to a reasonable $10. I just buy them at Target where they are usually about the right price.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004

My apartment does feel kinda sterile. Having some stuff it gives a warmer homely feeling.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
Originally posted by: idiotekniQues

I don't have the patience to keep returning to pier 1 to see if the $100 wicker basket is down to a reasonable $10. I just buy them at Target where they are usually about the right price.

we weren't stalking items specifically, just stopping by once a month to fill random things we needed and then noticing some serious deals. for us a pier 1 was a couple miles away.

we got a few things at target too. but even the big Targets have a much smaller selection of decorative stylish pieces vs pier 1.

http://athos.smugmug.com/galle..._QTazh#336790140_2X4CY

pretty much everything here was bought from pier 1, target, home goods, ikea, bed bath & beyond, jennifer convertibles

wall art: pier 1 mostly, some home goods, our own photography

ikea: both our desks & the bed, the shelves to the left & right of tv

pier 1: the accent chair, the hanging light,most of the smaller decorative knick knacks, throw pillows

jennifer convertibles: ottoman/coffee table and the sofa/chaise

target: tv stand and nightstands, a knick knack or two

ashley furniture: dresser

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
There are at least a few Pier 1's here in town. I know of one at Lakeline for sure.

Originally posted by: ElFenix
ship me some pluckers

nom nom nom