Stop rooting for war and mind your own life

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
The media is sensationalizing the situation in the Ukraine with their "Breaking News" alerts and whatnot. The politicians, such as Rubio and others won't miss a moment to make a remark about the situation whether they know anything at all about what is happening. The same goes for the everyday person like you and me. We've all got opinions that have nothing to do with reality. We don't know what is going on, we're just going by second, third and fourth hand accounts.

So, I might be totally wrong but maybe the action should be to do nothing. Just live your life, stop following news outlets like a nervous person, stop cheering for your favorite Senator. We all get caught up in this fever and lose our minds. This is war fever. We feel our fears coming out and that leads to other emotions as well. So, just take it easy.

Enough with patriotism and nationalism. Enough with cheering for your favorite political party. A party which some of you cheer for just as much as you cheer for your favorite football team. These political guys will not help you, they will not help anyone else - but they will create more confusion and problems. What Obama or Rubio says comes from their own self interest, that is all. It's all self motivated action. Unfortunately, most people believe this stuff and are easily led into wars and other disastrous situations.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
War is good. We live in a world fun of hateful, destructive, corrupt people. Without war these people take over the world and shape to what benefits them. America is foolish to ever think otherwise. Our children will now pay for our pathetic politicians.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
War is good. We live in a world fun of hateful, destructive, corrupt people. Without war these people take over the world and shape to what benefits them. America is foolish to ever think otherwise. Our children will now pay for our pathetic politicians.
this was not our politicians fault...duh....

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
this was not our politicians fault...duh....

:sigh:

We're not talking about specific politicians here. You are blaming their politicians now? Well, I'm sure "they" will blame your politicians. Who's right then?

For us, the everyday people, it isn't in our interest to lose ourselves in war fever. This further lends credibility to our politicians. This is what they want. They want a fearful, dumb, gullible population. Unfortunately, that is what we have. We have seen it time after time. Some group or country attacks and everyone is swept into a wave of patriotism and off we go to war to kill countless people. The cycle never, ever ends.

I am going to make an assumption and say most people follow their "flag" and root for their country in times of crisis. I guess its an old tribal trait. We seek comfort in large numbers. Thus we strengthen the grip of politicians even further. Never ending cycle.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
A rogue Russia is a threat to international security. I don't want a war, you don't want a war, but sometimes things require draconian action. Obama is not a good leader and he will fuck this up somehow, even if diplomatically.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
How many countries has the US invaded in the last 50 years compared to Russia? How many people has the US killed in the last 50 years? You don't think someone in Russia or somewhere else thinks like you but in the opposite way?

Once again, we accuse others of being the bad guys and they accuse us of being the bad guys. Who's right? No one. We all suffer.

But it's comforting to band together and be a part of the collective patriotic mindset. Or a collective "Democratic" mindset opposing the tyrannies of the world. (Yeah, right).

(The last two short paragraphs are not directed at anyone in particular :))

Last edited:

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
How many countries has the US invaded in the last 50 years compared to Russia? How many people has the US killed in the last 50 years? You don't think someone in Russia or somewhere else thinks like you but in the opposite way?

Once again, we accuse others of being the bad guys and they accuse us of being the bad guys. Who's right? No one. We all suffer.

But it's comforting to band together and be a part of the collective patriotic mindset. Or a collective "Democratic" mindset opposing the tyrannies of the world. (Yeah, right).

(The last two short paragraphs are not directed at anyone in particular :))

your right. Russia is the moral gold standard of the world. They would never invade other countries. depose millions of people. Kill tens of millions for the benefit of the state. nope. Not mother Russia. She is great.

/s

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
your right. Russia is the moral gold standard of the world. They would never invade other countries. depose millions of people. Kill tens of millions for the benefit of the state. nope. Not mother Russia. She is great.

/s

No sir, I am totally wrong. It is the USA that is the moral gold standard of the world. They would never invade other countries. depose millions of people. Kill tens of millions for the benefit of the state. nope. Not mother America. She is great.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
No sir, I am totally wrong. It is the USA that is the moral gold standard of the world. They would never invade other countries. depose millions of people. Kill tens of millions for the benefit of the state. nope. Not mother America. She is great.
Tens of millions... Got a breakdown on that number? BTW, depose doesn't mean what you think it means.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

dumbass.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Tens of millions... Got a breakdown on that number? BTW, depose doesn't mean what you think it means.

I was responding to our friend there in terms of what a non-US person might say. I don't know the numbers, I was only jokingly quoting him. It may not be ten million - maybe its 1 million? 2 million? Half million? 250,000? Who knows.

Listen guys, you can say all you want about Russia, they can say the same about you. We don't know who is right and it doesn't really matter.

But propaganda and conditioning is too strong and thus war will continue. You will bow down to your flags, your politicians and your religions. And you will justify it by saying, "But, but, but, he started it!"

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
I was responding to our friend there in terms of what a non-US person might say. I don't know the numbers, I was only jokingly quoting him. It may not be ten million - maybe its 1 million? 2 million? Half million? 250,000? Who knows.

Listen guys, you can say all you want about Russia, they can say the same about you. We don't know who is right and it doesn't really matter.

But propaganda and conditioning is too strong and thus war will continue. You will bow down to your flags, your politicians and your religions. And you will justify it by saying, "But, but, but, he started it!"

A couple of points:

1. We're *always* right...'cause 'Murica. Unless you're a Democrat, (or, god forbid, a "liberal") then it gets a little confusing. Just ask any of our right leaning friends here.

2. When you start looking at things from alternative viewpoints, the terrorists win.

3. The "news", is not. They are entertainment that needs to fill a 24 hour time slot, so they do.

4. War...war never changes...(just because I could)

5. Sometimes war *is* necessary. I haven't seen anything that makes me believe the current situation in Ukraine warrants that, but I'm also not personally vested in the situation.

Last edited:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
The media is sensationalizing the situation in the Ukraine with their "Breaking News" alerts and whatnot. The politicians, such as Rubio and others won't miss a moment to make a remark about the situation whether they know anything at all about what is happening. The same goes for the everyday person like you and me. We've all got opinions that have nothing to do with reality. We don't know what is going on, we're just going by second, third and fourth hand accounts.

So, I might be totally wrong but maybe the action should be to do nothing. Just live your life, stop following news outlets like a nervous person, stop cheering for your favorite Senator. We all get caught up in this fever and lose our minds. This is war fever. We feel our fears coming out and that leads to other emotions as well. So, just take it easy.

Enough with patriotism and nationalism. Enough with cheering for your favorite political party. A party which some of you cheer for just as much as you cheer for your favorite football team. These political guys will not help you, they will not help anyone else - but they will create more confusion and problems. What Obama or Rubio says comes from their own self interest, that is all. It's all self motivated action. Unfortunately, most people believe this stuff and are easily led into wars and other disastrous situations.
It's certainly a convenient boon for America's war merchants. Just last week we had Hagel discussing significant Defense budget cuts, talking about finally returning to a peace footing as we wind down in Afghanistan, and explaining how little sense it makes to keep spending on weapons systems designed for the wars of the last century. Then kaboom, we're inundated with frantic news about the resurgence of Russia and the coming Cold War II. While this could easily simply be coincidence, the timing couldn't be better for those who profit by hosting those bases and building those weapons ... as well as for those governments that maintain control of their citizens through jingoism and fear-mongering,

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
"Freedom fighters, will of the people" when it's in other countries.

"Preserving the Union." When it's in the USA. Total hypocracy.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
OP certainly isn't speaking for me. I like to keep abreast with the news, but I certainly don't "fear" Russia and I don't think most people are cheering for war. As far as I can tell Putin wants his military bases in the Ukraine secured and not much else at the moment.

I remember reading about the French scuttling their entire Navy before the Nazi's were able to take control of the French shipyards. I'm sure Russia doesn't want the Ukrainians to destroy Russian property that was stationed in the Ukraine before the rebellion.

It will be interesting to see how things further develop though.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

If you don't find it important, you have every right to ignore people who take an interest in the situation. You have every right not to discuss it on this forum.

raildogg said:

Go ask any common citizen in central Europe if they prefer to live under the western style of government or if they prefer to live under the Soviet style of government.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

Do tell, what is your real motivation for discussing this topic? What made you feel you needed to voice your opinions here?

That's where the real discussion and insight is, not this superficial level this thread is at.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
It's certainly a convenient boon for America's war merchants. Just last week we had Hagel discussing significant Defense budget cuts, talking about finally returning to a peace footing as we wind down in Afghanistan, and explaining how little sense it makes to keep spending on weapons systems designed for the wars of the last century. Then kaboom, we're inundated with frantic news about the resurgence of Russia and the coming Cold War II. While this could easily simply be coincidence, the timing couldn't be better for those who profit by hosting those bases and building those weapons ... as well as for those governments that maintain control of their citizens through jingoism and fear-mongering,

Do you believe military manufacturers are influencing Putin to invade Ukraine? I do not believe so.

It's a nice talking piece, but it doesn't fit the situation and as such only serves as an irrelevant side discussion.

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
War is an effect of market forces. We should transition toward a sustainable moneyless society where scarcity is a thing of the pads and that every human need can be satisfied

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
War is an effect of market forces. We should transition toward a sustainable moneyless society where scarcity is a thing of the pads and that every human need can be satisfied

There is a very definite difference between our universe and the Star Trek universe...

Last edited:

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
This, ftw!

The amount of Obama-hate is astounding; most notably from the Tea Party, and it's 5th anniversary just the other day.

still mad the you all lost the last 2 presidential elections??

Last edited: