Stop buying music and movies!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: PieIsAwesome
I have never bought any music or movies. :)

Most I have done is rent movies. Now all I buy are the occasional game.

Without any offense meant, you should realize this means that you are 'voting' for your money that no good music of movies be made (other than the ad-spported consumption).

That's really the way to look at it. If you spend hundreds on DirecTV, you are saying "I want Rupert Murdoch to have more power." If you subscribe to the tiny distributor Ironweed Films who mails amonthly DVD of documentaries, you are saying "I want more indie documentaries". If you don't give any money to movies, you are saying you don't want movies made or shown. Etc. If you buy the product made in China over the one made in the USA, you are saying you want the products made in China.

We vote evey two years for politics, and multiple times each day withou our dollars.

imported_dgingeri

Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234

Without any offense meant, you should realize this means that you are 'voting' for your money that no good music of movies be made (other than the ad-spported consumption).

That's really the way to look at it. If you spend hundreds on DirecTV, you are saying "I want Rupert Murdoch to have more power." If you subscribe to the tiny distributor Ironweed Films who mails amonthly DVD of documentaries, you are saying "I want more indie documentaries". If you don't give any money to movies, you are saying you don't want movies made or shown. Etc. If you buy the product made in China over the one made in the USA, you are saying you want the products made in China.

We vote every two years for politics, and multiple times each day with our dollars.

Truth here.

In my opinion, it is more of a tribute system. If you want more action movies, buy action movie DVD's. If you want more comic book movies, buy comic book movie DVD's.

It's working, for the most part. More hero movies have come out because they sell. (Spiderman, Batman, X-men) More Anime has come to the American market because it sells. Action movies have always sold well, and this will continue, I think.

I am very aware of how I spend my money and what it means to the overall market. I know my personal money doesn't have a major impact, but I do have some small effect. (I know all about being insignificant, too, since every single thing I voted on in the last election went the opposite way.)

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: PieIsAwesome
I have never bought any music or movies. :)

Most I have done is rent movies. Now all I buy are the occasional game.

We vote evey two years for politics, and multiple times each day withou our dollars.

What about Netflix? How does the movie industry tie into Netflix? Is it bad for them or good for them I guess is all I am trying to find out.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: GTKeeper
Originally posted by: Ns1
Originally posted by: AFMatt
If you download something you were NEVER going to buy, how did anyone lose money?

Irrelevant since you had no right to download said material in the first place. Just because you don't plan on buying it doesn't mean you get to use it for free.

Whether or not it was legal was not the question.

Then to answer your question, no, nobody loses money (assuming we are referring to digital downloads)

snip

Whenever I want it, a song, a movie, a dvd, or whatever. I will want it instantly onto one of my devices to replay wherever / whenever. The RIAA and movie industry are NOT moving in that direction.

Ok, so if they don't come out with a product you like, vote with your wallet and don't buy it. That does not give you a right to enrich yourself to their product just because you don't agree with their policies or whatever.

*warning slippery slope ahead*

I don't agree with LiveNation's policies on searching people as well as no cameras. I want to be able to walk into a concert with all my shit and take pictures at will. The concert industry is NOT moving in that direction.

If I sneak into a concert (GA Pit/Festival), does anybody lose money?

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
Originally posted by: GTKeeper
Originally posted by: AFMatt
If you download something you were NEVER going to buy, how did anyone lose money?

Irrelevant since you had no right to download said material in the first place. Just because you don't plan on buying it doesn't mean you get to use it for free.

Whether or not it was legal was not the question.

Then to answer your question, no, nobody loses money (assuming we are referring to digital downloads)

snip

Whenever I want it, a song, a movie, a dvd, or whatever. I will want it instantly onto one of my devices to replay wherever / whenever. The RIAA and movie industry are NOT moving in that direction.

Ok, so if they don't come out with a product you like, vote with your wallet and don't buy it. That does not give you a right to enrich yourself to their product just because you don't agree with their policies or whatever.

*warning slippery slope ahead*

I don't agree with LiveNation's policies on searching people as well as no cameras. I want to be able to walk into a concert with all my shit and take pictures at will. The concert industry is NOT moving in that direction.

If I sneak into a concert (GA Pit/Festival), does anybody lose money?

Why are you making these moral question statements? Every time people ask 'is this stealing, is tha stealing' time is spent SQUABLING over stupid things, instead of focusing how to make money.

People have swapped tapes and shared information ever since they could. No amount of lawyering / moral stump speeches is going to change the current behavior.

I am trying to look at this objectively, and I am saying its not a right / wrong issue. I don't 'enrich' myself with music, I download a few songs from iTunes and I have Netflix for movies or I buy an occasional PPV movie.

The one thing I really like what the studios have done, specifically with TV shows, is that you can go on-line and view them. Very easy access, sites make money via advertising, its a great convienience for me when I miss an episode.

The RIAA / Movie Industry needs to get its head out of their butt and focus on the future and how they can change the way they do business. I have 0 sympathy for the RIAA, although I feel that pirating is wrong. The reason that I have 0 sympathy for them is that they were convicted of price-fixing and now have this moral attitude, that they are perfect and everyone should be 'moral'. I never feel sympathy for hypocrites. The other side of the coin is their abuse of some artists etc.... but I don't want to get into THAT argument.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
The RIAA / Movie Industry needs to get its head out of their butt and focus on the future and how they can change the way they do business.

Or how about fucks stop feeling that they're entitled to everything and GO out to the movie theater, or go RENT the movie, or so on and so forth.

You want instant download, then get a fucking netflix account and view that shit ASAP.

(this is not directed at you, just at downloaders instead)