Stoopid DPAD client! + question.

DaFinn

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Something wrong with this client? I've had 2 comps running 24/7, and every morning when I go to check on them, the client is no longer running??? Every morning I restart the muon1.exe... and next morning same thing? Whats causing this? both are running W2K SP4
clean install + Norton IS.

The results file is allways like 10kb or less, but the autosave file is >5Mb. When I click manualsend, it just says the results file is too small...

How can i send (possible) results that are in the autosave file?

...blah, think I'll switch them back to SETI

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
That sounds very odd :confused:

Are you running the acutal muon1.exe, or the muon1_cmdline/muon1_background.

You shouldn't really run the muon1.exe directly. Try it with one of the other options. I suggest trying the cmdline one, so you can see what's happening on the screen.

Garry

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
... also - make sure that you have the "lattices" directory within your muon directory. If when extracting - you didn't specify to keep directory names - it'll crash every time.

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
... also in your config.txt make sure that "auto send" and "download sample" are set to 0 or it'll stop computing untill it can connect to the internet or u tell 'em to continue.

Is that an overclocked machine?? Cause when I had a faulty RAM in my PC I had the same problems and actually DPAD made me aware of the problem :D

DaFinn

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: BlackMountainCow
... also in your config.txt make sure that "auto send" and "download sample" are set to 0 or it'll stop computing untill it can connect to the internet or u tell 'em to continue.

Is that an overclocked machine?? Cause when I had a faulty RAM in my PC I had the same problems and actually DPAD made me aware of the problem :D

Damn, that must be it. Thanks BMC. I'll set them to 0. The other machine is and old dual P2 300, and I have had probs with the HDD (old SCSI)... that could be also it?

DaFinn

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Whatabout the autosave file? are my results there, as the results text is only few kb's. The autosave file is something like 5Mb's in both comps.
And how do I send results that are in autosave file?

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
OK the results are written to the autosave file before it's written to the results.txt file. So, don't worry about it. The autosave file reaches about 6MB before it's written to the results.txt file, don't know exectly how much, but only a few kbs...:D

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I am having problems with a machine with Norton Internet Security also. Every morning when I wake up, the computer is in sleep mode, and I boot it up to find the firewall asking if muon1.exe can access the internet. I tell it to always allow this program, but then the next morning I get the same thing. It is not trying to send results either, I think its trying to download the lattice file, or the best results file or something.

DaFinn

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers
I am having problems with a machine with Norton Internet Security also. Every morning when I wake up, the computer is in sleep mode, and I boot it up to find the firewall asking if muon1.exe can access the internet. I tell it to always allow this program, but then the next morning I get the same thing. It is not trying to send results either, I think its trying to download the lattice file, or the best results file or something.

I was also thinking Norton might have something to do with it... I'll disconnect the machines from the net, and disable Norton IS. See if that helps.

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Scott

Just stop the client, set all the download / upload thing to "0" in your config.txt, restart the client

Only when u know u want to send results, stop the client, set them all to "1" again, restart the client

--> it'll download everything new

--> stop the client again, set them all to "0" again.

So DPAD will never try to use your connection unless u want it to --> Norton shouldn't be the prob anymore :D