stomach stapled

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
If there were any remote possibility that this guy was going to do any exercise whatsoever, he wouldn't have needed to get his stomach stapled.

What sad is there are people that picture people that have this type of surgery done as being lazy slobs that make pizza bologna sandwiches and wash them down with milkshakes 3x a day.

The truth is, if you have to go this far to lose weight, it's usually not a matter of self control, it's some type of medical condition. I know this because my wife is about to have a similar procedure done.

She is very overweight because 5 years ago she had to have most of the vertebrae in her lower back fused together due to severe disc degeneration. This left her in constant pain, which lead to a diagnosis of fibromyalgia. It hurts her to move for more than 10 minutes at a time, and therefore she gained an unhealthy amount of weight. Imagine trying to exercise when it feels like every muscle in your body has been sprained.

We look like such an odd couple because she's very heavy, and I'm fairly buff. I know she hates herself at the moment, and would do anything to change her situation, but I'm more in love with the person inside than the shell she's stuck in, so I'm sticking with her until the end.

We're hoping this surgery will remove a lot of the weight related joint inflammation and make her functional again. She's supposed to have it done in the next couple of months. Our hopes are very high. It took nearly two years to have our insurance cover it though---but the worst of that is over. Hopefully by Christmas I'll have most of my wife back :)

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
What sad is there are people that picture people that have this type of surgery done as being lazy slobs that make pizza bologna sandwiches and wash them down with milkshakes 3x a day.

The truth is, if you have to go this far to lose weight, it's usually not a matter of self control, it's some type of medical condition. I know this because my wife is about to have a similar procedure done.

She is very overweight because 5 years ago she had to have most of the vertebrae in her lower back fused together due to severe disc degeneration. This left her in constant pain, which lead to a diagnosis of fibromyalgia. It hurts her to move for more than 10 minutes at a time, and therefore she gained an unhealthy amount of weight. Imagine trying to exercise when it feels like every muscle in your body has been sprained.

We look like such an odd couple because she's very heavy, and I'm fairly buff. I know she hates herself at the moment, and would do anything to change her situation, but I'm more in love with the person inside than the shell she's stuck in, so I'm sticking with her until the end.

We're hoping this surgery will remove a lot of the weight related joint inflammation and make her functional again. She's supposed to have it done in the next couple of months. Our hopes are very high. It took nearly two years to have our insurance cover it though---but the worst of that is over. Hopefully by Christmas I'll have most of my wife back :)

Im sorry to hear that about your wife.

What sucks about your situation is that a lot of people simply won't believe you. So many fat people make up lame excuses like 'gland problems'. A lot of overweight people simply cry wolf and blame their problems on something else. Its really sad to hear that story when its actually true.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
It doesn't matter you are obese or not if you drink soda day-in day-out you have a health problem.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
It doesn't matter you are obese or not if you drink soda day-in day-out you have a health problem.

I drink soda every day. I am 6 feet tall, 180 lbs. I can run less than 8 min miles and do a half marathon in 1 hour 55 minutes.

Do I have a health problem?

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009

That sucks about your wife, but the root of the problem is still diet and self control.

If you can't exercise, you absolutely do not even need the food. There's no excuse.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
That sucks about your wife, but the root of the problem is still diet and self control.

If you can't exercise, you absolutely do not even need the food. There's no excuse.

OK, you obviously know nothing about nutrition.

If you are pretty much forced to be stationary, you would need something rediculous like a 800-900 calorie a day diet to keep from gaining weight. You try living on that for just a few days and let me know how that works out. This surgery will allow her to do this.

She doesn't over eat, she eats normally. Maybe a little less than normal, but she has no way of using the energy she's taking in, which is the problem with many people that have dehabilitating injuries.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

if they could have lost the weight on their own, they probably would have.

needing surgery to reach a healthy weight > dying as a fatass, imo

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009

If you are pretty much forced to be stationary, you would need something rediculous like a 800-900 calorie a day diet to keep from gaining weight. You try living on that for just a few days and let me know how that works out. This surgery will allow her to do this.

She doesn't over eat, she eats normally. Maybe a little less than normal, but she has no way of using the energy she's taking in, which is the problem with many people that have dehabilitating injuries.
Even a normal-weight 5'2'' female has a BMR of about 1400 calories. If they are functional at all, you're looking at at least 2000 calories burned without even trying.

I'm not saying it's your wife's fault for gaining weight, it's very hard to stay under a 2000 calorie intake, especially if her condition has rendered her mostly immobile.

Anyways, congrats on getting the surgery covered and good luck.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009

It's not that hard. Just ask the supermodels and anorexics how they do it. If they can *survive* eating so little, imagine how a healthy person can get by.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Even a normal-weight 5'2'' female has a BMR of about 1400 calories. If they are functional at all, you're looking at at least 2000 calories burned without even trying.

I'm not saying it's your wife's fault for gaining weight, it's very hard to stay under a 2000 calorie intake, especially if her condition has rendered her mostly immobile.

Anyways, congrats on getting the surgery covered and good luck.

Someone who needs to lose weight and can't exercise probably needs to stay under 1000 calories though.

Still, the "can't exercise" part is always suspicious. One can generally wave their arms around doing stuff anyway. How do the disabled stuck in wheel chair stay fit?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Someone who needs to lose weight and can't exercise probably needs to stay under 1000 calories though.

Still, the "can't exercise" part is always suspicious. One can generally wave their arms around doing stuff anyway. How do the disabled stuck in wheel chair stay fit?

I'm going to stop trying to explain this to you. You're not getting it.

CRXican

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
I've actively tried to gain weight and couldn't succeed. It takes work to eat yourself obese.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I've actively tried to gain weight and couldn't succeed. It takes work to eat yourself obese.

I eat 7-8k calories a day, don't exercise and never put on a pound. I have a friend who practically starves herself and she still puts on weight.

YMMV

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
sounds like he should be drinking whiskey instead of wasting precious space on water and food. id suggest beer, but again...he only has so much space.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
sounds like he should be drinking whiskey instead of wasting precious space on water and food. id suggest beer, but again...he only has so much space.

I recommended AIDS cocktails. They usually help you lose weight so quickly. :eek:

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
People are retarded as fuck. In a few threads I joked about getting prescription amphetamine to lose weight, which would work, but is a ridiculous idea because it's bad for the heart. The stomach staple people somehow manage to outdo what I joked about and go through major life-changing surgery to accomplish the same thing. Why exercise, eat less, or take drugs when I could be cut open and molested so I can't even enjoy food anymore!

Ya don't say....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssf7088paXA

yes that is a very serious medical problem, but you're supposed to change your diet based on your medical conditions. When people find out they have diabetes, they don't keep eating 3 cakes per day and putting butter in their coffee. If you're down and out, try eating more vegetables. Most of them contain little or no calories, and some things like celery actually contain negative calories. Green leafy vegetables are really good for you and are very low in calories. Try adding vinegar if you find the taste is too bitter.
edit: I hope your wife's pain goes away. Obesity seems like a non-issue compared to fibromyalgia.

Last edited:

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005

Best of luck to you and yours. I hope things work out well in the end for your wife.

I eat 7-8k calories a day, don't exercise and never put on a pound. I have a friend who practically starves herself and she still puts on weight.

YMMV

My meter is a bit rusty, so please tell me this is sarcasm.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Best of luck to you and yours. I hope things work out well in the end for your wife.

My meter is a bit rusty, so please tell me this is sarcasm.

Some people are cursed genetically so they will wither and die within 2 seconds if tossed into the wild and forced to fend/hunt for themselves.

Others have fat.