Stolen Trek 7300 Bicycle, practically new

newtonite

May 12, 2006
Stolen 10/8 in the Barnstable / Hyannis area of Massachusetts, a practically new Trek 7300 Multitrack with a 17.5" frame, orange/silver in color.

If you know anything about this bicycle, please contact me: teachingteacher (at) gmail.com

It was taken off a cars bike rack in less than 10 minutes from a busy parking lot, Kryptonite lock and all. Reward for information. We'd just like to get it back.

Keywords: Trek 7300 multitrack bicycle, serial number C75AU510

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I haven't seen anything like it yet down here. I'll keep my eyes open.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
GL man. I've gotta give you props for looking a haystack straight in the eye and then jumping in head first to get your needle.

Coolone

Aug 18, 2001
Is that bike on the registry? I've had many friends whos mountain and road bikes were stolen (some were damn nice too), so to some degree, I can feel your pain.

newtonite

May 12, 2006
I listed it on a few places online, and posted on both Boston and the Cape Craigslist.

This is painful. It's my 14 yo son's bike, and he worked the summer for it. And, of course, it's just below our deductible.

It was taken from a busy Hyannis Staples parking lot in less than 10 minutes... had a Kryptonite cable lock securing both wheels and the frame to the security loop of a Thule rack. Useless stuff!

Feel free to post the names of online registries.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
this seems like a really wierd place to post things, I would try Craigslist, or the police. Although it is probably gone for good, buy a better lock next time and good luck in the future.

newtonite

May 12, 2006
You may think it's a weird place to post it, but Google should pick up the information - including the serial number - and if someone searches and finds it... well then it's not really weird.

BTW, it had a good Kryponite lock. It was secured to a Thule rack security loop. The lock disappeard with the bike, like magic, within 10 minutes in a busy parking lot. Good theives.

(edited to correct a typo)

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Don't those locks claim to have some kind of insurance guarantee? Not that I believe they'd actually reimburse you, but it's worth a shot.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
doesnt kryptonite have a guarantee on their locks? may want to try to extract a pound of flesh from them.

cheers to you for not sitting by idly and saying "oh well". go git 'em.

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: newtonite
Stolen 10/8 in the Barnstable / Hyannis area of Massachusetts, a practically new Trek 7300 Multitrack with a 17.5" frame, orange/silver in color.

If you know anything about this bicycle, please contact me: teachingteacher (at) gmail.com

It was taken off a cars bike rack in less than 10 minutes from a busy parking lot, Kryptonite lock and all. Reward for information. We'd just like to get it back.

Keywords: Trek 7300 multitrack bicycle, serial number C75AU510

Well, they have to sell it. Tell the cops. And call pawn shops/bike shops. They have to sell it somewhere.

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: newtonite
I listed it on a few places online, and posted on both Boston and the Cape Craigslist.

This is painful. It's my 14 yo son's bike, and he worked the summer for it. And, of course, it's just below our deductible.

It was taken from a busy Hyannis Staples parking lot in less than 10 minutes... had a Kryptonite cable lock securing both wheels and the frame to the security loop of a Thule rack. Useless stuff!

Feel free to post the names of online registries.

Umm, you might want to call staples. I don't know if they have Cameras, but the local Wal-Mart has security cameras pointing at hte parking lot. You might get some video!

newtonite

May 12, 2006
To answer some posts:

The Staples in Hyannis Ma doesn't have a camera in the lot, in fact, the manager told me CCTV coverage doesn't go beyond the cashiers.

I called some of the local bike shops. Also posted on some online boards, created a RCN blog and listed it under bicycles on Boston and Cape Cod Craigslist.

Like this one:
Posted here with a photo

This wasn't a casual theft. I was parked for not more than 10 minutes in a busy Staples parking lot two cars from the store entrance. To find the bike, break the lock, remove it and escape unseen; must have been a seasoned thief. I'd suspect they'd be smart enough to get rid of it it (along with the rest of their hauls) in a different area.